rope vd?

Bogen

Got a cold sore a few weeks ago, never had one before. GF never had one, kids never had one, etc. In wondering where I might have got it, it occurred to me that almost all of us, when lead climbing in the gym, put the rope in our mouths at some point when going for a long clip. The same area, of the same rope, in many different mouths... Gross!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that it is possible, but unlikely that you got the cold sore from the rope. Putting the rope in your mouth is a bad habit for a few reasons. Just ask Squid about what happens when you put the rope in your mouth before clipping the draw.

More likely that you got it from sharing a water bottle with a buddy. One thing to remember about gym climbing (or heck touching anything in a public place) is that you should keep your grubby hands away from your mucous membranes unless you've just washed them. This means no rubbing eyes, wiping mouth, picking nose, etc. It'll keep you healthier to wash your hands or use alcohol gel before doing anything with your hands like preparing food or touching your face.

My water-bottle-buddy has never had one either, and the virus is supposedly quite long-lived outside the body, as far as viruses go. Anyway, I don't really know where I got it, it just occured to me that many of us that gym climb are sharing spit with strangers.

Squid, what happens when you put the rope in your mouth before clipping a draw?

yellaf.gif hhmm...guess I forgot. wink.gif

Didn't you have an accident last year at Smith? Sorry if I bring up some bad memories...but I figured it was public knowledge since you posted about it here. I just saw you last weekend and can assure the ladies that you are no longer toofless.

According to a nurse I know, anything you bring to your lips could be infected with herpes. The life of the critters varies with temp, moisture, toxicity, etc. It is conceivable that you got it from a rope but highly unlikely compared to drinking fountains, pipes, soggy-ended joints,.... .

cat pee will sterilize your rope and remove any nasty bugs. wash your rope in a dilute solution of cat urine after every time someone else puts it in their mouth.

Yes, cat urine doesn't quite get the kudos it deserves:

-it's caffine free hahaha.gif

-it's relatively inexpensive crazy.gif

-it's less habbit forming than beer cry.gif

-it's less filling; AND tastes great fruit.gif

So, belly up to the feline... the cat urine is on me (not litterally) bigdrink.gif