Home climbing walls - worth it?

DPS

I have a garage with 11' ceilings and about 12 feet of free wall space. I am considering putting in a bouldering wall. In your experience is a well designed wall of this size worth the trouble and expense or does it get boring real quick?

Edited by danielpatricksmith

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have built 5 different walls, they only get as stale as you let them.

With the long winters, a good steep wall is usually the best, as easy gets boring faster.

You say you have 12' of wall? design a wall with 3 angles getting steeper the closer you get to the back corner of the garage.

The best part of having a wall is having friends get together to build one. The more holds each person can contribute the better.

Depends on how motivated you are, and if there's a local climbing gym that you and/or your friends usually attend. In DFA's experience, most home walls are met with an initial outpouring of stoke, but enthusiasm usually dwindles as people get back to their more usual, more convenient, gym routine. If you've got a motivated posse, though, without other training options or gym commitments, the home gym could kick ass.

Give it a good honest assessment, is all. If you don't think you'd get tons of use out of it, just think how far the hundreds or thousands you'd spend on the home wall could get you on a road trip. Cha-ching!

snugtop.gif

I generally dislike climbing gyms for a variety of reasons. The only artifical wall I like is the UW wall where I just do laps on the cracks for exercise. I figure I could build a gently over hanging section with 3-4 different size cracks and maybe a steeper cave like section.

To complete the experience, I will hire a big blond guy to tape up his hands real good and tell me conspiracy theories.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

I was thinking about how to build a crack for jamming. Two 2x6's fixed close together, maybe starting finger-sized and widening out at the wall gets steeper. the_finger.gif However I have no idea how to make a durable, high-friction, yet comfortable texture. Actually, thing is I can just go down to the UW rock if I want to practice my jams, so I don't really see the point.

If you have kids, it will definitely be worth it. My 2 and 5 year olds are all over our wall. I made it variable enough that we can all get a workout on it: a little vertical, a big roof, a 20 degree overhang, and a 50 degree over hang. It also goes horizontal for a few feet on the ceiling.

Mine is about 15' wide and 11' high, and I haven't gotten bored in the last year and a half. I have a lot o' holds, though. However, I haven't even changed their placement yet.

Good luck to you.

Mike

I was thinking about how to build a crack for jamming. , maybe starting finger-sized and widening out at the wall gets steeper. the_finger.gif However I have no idea how to make a durable, high-friction, yet comfortable texture.

I don't have the space for a wall so I just built a crack. I used a couple of 16 2x10s with a several pieces of all thread zig zagged on the back half. I carry it in and put it away then hang it on the side of the place when I want to climb. The all thread lets me change the width and taper of the crack with very little hassle. I got good results from using that rubber grit deck paint that they make for tennis courts. Nothing feels like rock put the rubber grit is good on the hands for the practice.