Rescue Poll

fenderfour

How much rescue training do you have?  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How much rescue training do you have?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Training bad habits only reinforces bad habits.

In a recent self (partner) rescue "training" session the instructor condensed everything in Fasulo into three simple proceedures (escape the belay, assend the rope, counterbalanced rappel). We practice those frequently (even in the gym). I think I could help my partner if I had to.

Freeman

(29 years in mountain rescue - starting to grasp the basics)

For some reason everything on this board is taken waaayyyy too seriously.

This poll is only to satisfy my curiosity. You won't be tested later.

some of us who do rescue take it very seriously. On a good year (when we have the funding) our little unit does a week of Rigging for Rescue on our crags, a weekend of level 2 avy training, at least two or three rigging sessions, a self rescue practice, and several white board discussions. When we were doing long line we would train once a month with the helo. Throw in manditory BBP, helo ground school and first aid. And I consider every day that I'm climbing to be a form of training....

and we get tested when the phone rings in the middle of the night

An informal poll at the gym the other night indicated that not one climber could escape a loaded belay (one guy suggested putting a prusik on the rope and transfering the load to it, but couldn't figure out how to unload the prusik). Good thing they never go higher than half a rope length.

The really unfortunate part is that the gym owner was giving a bunch of crap to the folks who were practicing it.