Sims's tax proposal/platform

chucK

i think christine gregoire is even scary than simms.

I appreciated Sims' Don Quixoteish fixation on tax reform, because I agree that it's a problem in this state, and I like Jay_B's suggestion. I also agree that Gregoire is sort of scary, she certainly rubs me the wrong way, and scuttlebutt from her office is that she's one of those "take credit for someone else's work" types who makes sure that someone else's head rolls when things go wrong. Rossi however is staunchly opposed to legalized abortion. I'm not happy with my choices in this race, but I'm not surprised either.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Minx, people chose to vote for those initiatives. Don't blame Eyman. Sure, he brought it up, but in the end it was voter choice. I would say that if the band of idiots down in Olympia was more fiscally responsible, we wouldn't be discussing an income tax.

greg that's crap and you know it. plain and simple crap. time eyman knows that many voters doesn't have the foresight to realize the long term implications of that inititative. there shooting for short term wallet relief. it's one thing to discuss government waste and fiscal responsibility. it's another to take away a significant portion of the budget and then expect them to make it work.

It's not crap, it's a fact: each individual that voted for those initiatives CHOSE to do so. That is how it works in our government - take the good with the bad (however you see it). I give those who choose to vote a little more credit than you, but that's cool. (I won't piss you off until I get to sample the new ride wink.gif)

I think those two are related. People saw the waste and bullshit surrounding the Transportation budget and chose to act on it. In my view it acheived the goal of checking what the Legislature was doing and made them look at smarter decisions to achieve transportation goals.

Greg_W

It's not crap, it's a fact: each individual that voted for those initiatives CHOSE to do so. That is how it works in our government - take the good with the bad (however you see it). I give those who choose to vote a little more credit than you, but that's cool. (I won't piss you off until I get to sample the new ride wink.gif)

I think those two are related. People saw the waste and bullshit surrounding the Transportation budget and chose to act on it. In my view it acheived the goal of checking what the Legislature was doing and made them look at smarter decisions to achieve transportation goals.

Greg_W

It's crap Greg. As an example - my former state of Virginia elected James Gilmore on the pledge to eliminate the car tax (the car tax was a lump sum tax of several % of your cars value due in October) needless to say his campaign pledge resonated. Of course most people were too stupid to wonder how he was going to increase school funding while doing away with one of the primary sources of school funding, which the car tax was.

What's happened? The Repub controlled legislature has frozen the cartax repeal.

The only difference between the current R party and the D party is one is willing to give you the moon but claims you don't have to pay for it

I really prefer the sales tax, it's a tax I can easily avoid. And the tax is great since unlike Colorado they do not tax food. :-)

With an income tax you can't avoid the tax unless you break the law. If they do come up with an income tax I'd like to see a single payment system. No withholdings during the year, then at the end of the year you owe a lump sum. This way every taxed citizen feels the full pain of the income tax. It would soon be gone.

I'm very much against the income tax. Please keep the sales tax and raise it as much as you like. I'll just keep doing my big ticket shoping out of state or via the mail. Now if I could only figure out how to get out of my house's property tax. ????

Hey, here's an idea. Make tax evasion legal. Anyone who doesn't want to pay taxes can opt out! They just have to register with the government so that whenever they want to use governmental services, their credit card gets charged.

Drive on the highway: that'll be 2 cents per mile, tracked with a mandatory remotely-read odometer. Get robbed and want the police to investigate? Ka-ching! $50/hour + donut expenses. Non-taxpayers get to fly on special airlines that aren't subject to FAA regulations or Homeland Security passenger screening. Tax evaders also don't get to invest in the stock market, since the SEC (funded by taxes) regulates it. 911 is not available for these fiercely independent souls: they get 1-900-911 ($2.99 the first minute, 99 cents each additional minute). Oh, and no voting, either. What would be the point?

mr. radon, I think this is just what you've been looking for! Freedom from the heavy hand of the government, freedom to make your own choices about what you pay for and what you don't. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mr. radon's post doesn't even deserve a response.

On the tim eyman note, I agree with cj in the fact that Tim relied on the lack of brain power possessed by the majority of this state's voters. Now of course there is nothing wrong with that as Greg pointed out. I still think Eyman is a fucking deuchbag tho. Our state was the only financilly solvent one in the union until that stupid car tax thing came along. The most ridiculous thing was Eyman convinced those who can't afford nice cars that saving $100 or $200 would be worth it, while the real motivation was to get rid of the grand or more than people had to pay on luxury cars.

Quite ironically, it was a flat tax, the same shit republicans claim is fair, unbiased, and the way to a complete utopia.