The Rock Warriors Way

LUCKY

My sweetie got me a copy of THE ROCK WARRIOR'S WAY by Arno Ilgner for my birth day, It was suggested by a good climbing friend.

When I first saw the cover and read under the title MENTAL TRAINING FOR CLIMBERS I kinda went oh no rolleyes.gif

I found it to be more of a philosphy of life and climbing than mental training, still one of the more enjoyable books I have read.

I found THE ROCK WARRIOR'S WAY reinforced and put into prespective my beliefs about EGO, SELF WORTH AND SAVORING THE JOURNEY OF THE PRESENT

The Rat Race from THE ROCK WARRIOR'S WAY

Early in our lives we are taught to be competitive and value achievement and results. We are encouraged to "make something of ourselves" or to "get ahead" the emphasis is on a future destination, for which we will sacrifice the satisfaction of the present. Ironically, once we arrive at a destination ... landing that sought after job, climbing 5.12 grade.. we find it's not a final destination at all. we aren't satisfied to stay there. We may even look back nostalgically to the passion we possessed when we considered that destination a magical promised land, before we realized it was simply the end of the jorurney. inevitably we begin a new journey, and a new one after that. in fact, our entire lives are spent journeying.

The warrior is the ultimate realist. He knows that life is a journey, and rather than rushing blindly toward the next destination, he appreciates the journey itself and consciously lives within it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

fruit.gif

Once a group of ten blind masseuses were traveling together in the mountains, and when they

began to pass along the top of a precipice, they all became very cautious, their legs shook, and they

were in general struck with terror. Just then the leading man stumbled and fell of the cliff. Those

that were left all wailed, "Ahh, ahh I How piteous!" But the masseuse who had fallen veiled up

from below, "Don't be afraid. Although I fell, it was nothing. I am now rather at ease. Before

falling I kept thinking 'What will I do if I fall?' and there was no end to my anxiety. But now I've

settled down. If the rest of you want to be at ease, fall quickly!''