May I see your papers?

Stonehead

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CNN recently carried a story concerning this case.

(Government wants ID arguments secret )

excerpts:

The U.S. Department of Justice has asked an appellate court to keep its arguments secret for a case in which privacy advocate John Gilmore is challenging federal requirements to show identification before boarding an airplane.

--snip--

"We're dealing with the government's review of a secret law that now they want a secret judicial review for," one of Gilmore's attorneys, James Harrison, said in a phone interview Sunday. "This administration's use of a secret law is more dangerous to the security of the nation than any external threat."

First off, the story is very vague. Exactly what 'ID requirement' was he 'subjected' to? The requirement of showing identification before boarding a plane? Gee, that's stingent! rolleyes.gif Basing a conclusion from this one story is ridiculous since the article doesn't really contain any information at all.

The point is:

"The U.S. Department of Justice has asked an appellate court to keep its arguments secret for a case in which privacy advocate John Gilmore is challenging federal requirements to show identification before boarding an airplane."

I don't see any reason why the DOJ needs a secret case, unless there is something to hide. Privacy is for citizens, not the government!

And that dude's a dumbshit. Period.

That's your opinion and I believe a mistaken one. Gilmore is one of the co-founders of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an organization which is similar in ways to the Access Fund but which deals with cyberspace rather than a physical place.

Electronic Frontier Foundation--Defending Freedom in the Digital World

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) was created to defend our rights to think, speak, and share our ideas, thoughts, and needs using new technologies, such as the Internet and the World Wide Web. EFF is the first to identify threats to our basic rights online and to advocate on behalf of free expression in the digital age.

You might want to take a look at some of the current issues surrounding the use of the Internet, for example, some of the proposed legislation such as the Induce Act. Personally, I believe Gilmore is an advocate and is at the forefront of many pertinent issues regarding freedom of speech and other rights.

Airlines are not public transportation, therefore the suit has no basis. He'd have more basis IMO if he complained that as a motorist he was stopped in random traffic stops while traveling across the country on public highways.

The airlines only require identification for fraud purposes - you can check in at home (no ID), or use the automated teller machines.

The Federal Government in the Form of the Transportation Security Agency (who employ 650 people at PDX alone blush.gif) requires a goverment issued photo ID as identification to travel.

And that dude's a dumbshit. Period.

That's your opinion and I believe a mistaken one. Gilmore is one of the co-founders of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an organization which is similar in ways to the Access Fund but which deals with cyberspace rather than a physical place.

Electronic Frontier Foundation--Defending Freedom in the Digital World

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) was created to defend our rights to think, speak, and share our ideas, thoughts, and needs using new technologies, such as the Internet and the World Wide Web. EFF is the first to identify threats to our basic rights online and to advocate on behalf of free expression in the digital age.

You might want to take a look at some of the current issues surrounding the use of the Internet, for example, some of the proposed legislation such as the Induce Act. Personally, I believe Gilmore is an advocate and is at the forefront of many pertinent issues regarding freedom of speech and other rights.

I honestly don't see why showing ID before boarding a plane is an invasion of my privacy. Likewise, I don't feel that my privacy has been invaded when I'm asked to sign a credit card reciept, either. What's the dude's problem?

I took a look at the EFF site, and it's interesting and necessary, but while I might agree with what the EFF's doing, I don't have to agree with this guy about the issue of presenting ID before boarding a plane. Totally different issues. wave.gif