Malden Mills: A company doing the right thing in this time of corruption

jon

I saw an interesting story on TV last night about the company Malden Mills, the maker of Polartech, which has filed for bankruptcy protection.

Seven years ago, during a time where other textile manufacturers where moving out of the country to cut costs, Malden Mills manufacturing plant in some podunk midwest town burnt to the ground. With 300 million in insurance money the owner could have easily have walked away with the money, or moved the plant out of the country. He decided to stay in the same town and build a state of the art facility. He unselfishly paid his workers until the new facility was ready. The owner (can't remember his name) said the biggest mistake he ever made was not patenting the polar fleece process which they invented. Now with intense competition from overseas and increasing costs the company may be in trouble.

As a consumer please make the right decision and support companies in the United States that remain commited to it's workforce and the environment, even if it means paying a few more bucks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy's name was Fuerentsine or something like that. The mill was in Massachusetts. I liked it when the interviewer (Bradley) asked him why he didn't just close the business and retire with all his money and he replied "what am I going to do with it all -- eat more or something?" It was a very nice story, offering a very complimentary picture of the man and of the company, and it suggested that although they are now in Chapter 11, they may pull out of it and carry on. But what about the shareholders? I don't think you can expect many companies to do what they did.

Yes, Aaron Feuerstein is a great man for what he did: rebuilding the company in its same location in Lawrence, MA . This 60 Minutes segment originally aired in March, as a juxtaposition to the Enron debacle. Malden Mills continues to produce what is likely the best-quality synthetic fleece in the world, including brand names such as Polartec and the new Regulator, used by our outdoor tech clothing makers such as Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Arc'Teryx, Patagonia, many others. Yes, they are in Ch. 11, and while the exact future of the company is in doubt, it is thought by many they will survive. Haven't heard the current status of their Ch. 11 filing, but further news is at this Outdoor Retailer site.

Support Malden Mills: Buy Polartec and Regulator fleece!

I will say that Malden's Powerdry and Powersheld are pretty state of the art fabrics at the moment. I guess they are kicking themselves for not having a pure Schoeller type material though.

IIRC this isnt the first time they've declared bankruptcy. Like TNF they just keep bouncing back producing the same products under different corporate organizational scemes...

I saw both the 60 minutes story last night and the orginal story in March and was moved by what this man stands for. His employees come first, personal wealth is last.

If you are a climber with even the slightest care of the American worker and USA produced products then do your part through support. Look for and purchase PolarTec labeled clothing products

Via la Malden Mills and PolarTec

I recently purchased a new set of gaiters. My choices were: 1.) Mountain Hardware "Ventigater" 2.) Black Diamond 3.) OR Supercroc's.

All three were about the same price (55.00). It came down to this.....The OR's were the only ones made in the USA. Both Black D's and Mtn. Hardware's were "made in China". If they were made with cheap labor and lax regulation in a country with no environmental or human rights restrictions.... Then Why The F@#$% aren't they cheaper?!

Seems to me maybe Black Diamond should stop harping about genetically modified corn, and make their products in the USA, or at least in a country who's workers enjoy a higher standard of living. ( Canada, W Europe, even Checz Rep! )

Anyway, I bought the OR's.

I go out of my way to buy MM stuff, just as I go out of my way to NOT buy Omega Pacific stuff. [OP, as you may know, makes their stuff in the USA, but in PRISONS [Mad] ] MM rules!

Be a smart consumer, buy your stuff at indie shops (or MEC, sorry, love that place) and make sure that both the materials and the end product were made in labor-friendly countries, USA being one of them!! Hooray for Malden Mills! [rockband]

[ 08-12-2002, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: allison ]

Darn! Fairweather and here I thought you were on the right side of these arguments. Pun intended. [Wink] The US is at very low unemployment (even under current conditions)and you find it ethically wrong to support a person in China who is living under completely destitute conditions in favor of a comparatively fabulously rich person with lots of alternatives in the US?

I just don't get it. Care for kin but not for kind?

PP

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

I go out of my way to buy MM stuff, just as I go out of my way to NOT buy Omega Pacific stuff. [OP, as you may know, makes their stuff in the USA, but in PRISONS
[Mad]
] MM rules!

Be a smart consumer, buy your stuff at indie shops (or MEC, sorry, love that place) and make sure that both the materials and the end product were made in labor-friendly countries, USA being one of them!! Hooray for Malden Mills!
[rockband]

You're not going to start singing "Look for the Union Label" are you?

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

Slightly off-topic, but several people have brought it up: What is the background on Omega-Pacific using prison labor? On the surface it sounds like a good idea; at least they learn a trade.

Greg W

Seriously, how many ex-cons do you think end up going to work for other biner manufacturers??? [Confused]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Seriously, how many ex-cons do you think end up going to work for other biner manufacturers???
[Confused]

In 'biner manufacture, I am sure workers learn basic machine shop skills, blueprint reading, etc. These are all transferable skills. Plus, it takes their mind off of the "drop-the-soap" game in the shower that morning [big Grin]

Greg W

I just finished reading Ted Conover's book on being a prison guard at Sing Sing, "Newjack" While certainly it's a long way from a maximum security prison in NY to a minimum security facility in Spokane (which I think is where OP has their stuff made) there are some parallels. I certainly don't think that the prisoners feel exploited, and it's probably more interesting work than the prison laundry.

Most of the opposition to prison manufacturing comes from organized Labor. I expect I'm well on the left of most of the posters here, but I certainly see nothing wrong with it, particularly if it keeps the jobs in the country.

You can read their side of the story at:

http://www.omegapac.com/inmate.html

If you're opposed to prison labor, you need to avoid anything manufactured in China, where prison labor has been an integal part of their economic system for decades.

[ 08-13-2002, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Alpine Tom ]

quote:

quote:

Seriously, how many ex-cons do you think end up going to work for other biner manufacturers???
[Confused]

In 'biner manufacture, I am sure workers learn basic machine shop skills, blueprint reading, etc. These are all transferable skills. Plus, it takes their mind off of the "drop-the-soap" game in the shower that morning
[big Grin]

Greg W

you gotta wonder how many of those prisoners are making bongs and shivs and stuff with the metalworking machinery...

I'm not able to say that I buy no goods manufactured in China, but I do the best I can to avoid places with bad labor practices, such as China.

I recently had the choice to buy something expensive made in a labor-unfriendly country, or pay a couple of bucks more to buy the same thing made in a labor-friendly country, and opted for the latter. It's damn near impossible to avoid everything made in places like China, but it's damn easy to make those choices when it comes to major purchases.

We've discussed the OP stichmo before at some length. If you're leaning toward favoring prison labor, I recommend you read the propaganda on OP's website. It's compelling and well-written. They will never see one penny of my money though. Vote with your consumer dollars! [rockband]

quote:

you gotta wonder how many of those prisoners are making bongs and shivs and stuff with the metalworking machinery...

I knew a guy that taught welding to inmates at a prison in Indiana. I asked him the same question and he told me that each inmate had to check out an exact number of welding electrodes and pieces of metal and check back in the same number or they would have to turn over the whole place until everything is accounted for. Probably a similar practice here.

All-in-all it sounds like a good program. I am sure the pro-union parasites hate it because they can't get in there to organize. However, the inmates are being paid and some of that offsets their burden on us, the taxpayer; gotta like that. Maybe I'll hire an inmate to post on cc.com for me so I can get more done at work...or the other way around. [big Grin]

Greg W

quote:

quote:

I knew a guy that taught welding to inmates at a prison in Indiana. I asked him the same question and he told me that each inmate had to check out an exact number of welding electrodes and pieces of metal and check back in the same number or they would have to turn over the whole place until everything is accounted for. Probably a similar practice here.

All-in-all it sounds like a good program. I am sure the pro-union parasites hate it because they can't get in there to organize. However, the inmates are being paid and some of that offsets their burden on us, the taxpayer; gotta like that. Maybe I'll hire an inmate to post on cc.com for me so I can get more done at work...or the other way around.
[big Grin]

Greg W

when i worked in a warehouse (not quite a prison but we did have timeclocks [Mad] ) they had a similar set up plus security cameras and you wouldnt believe how much stuff went missing nonetheless.....

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Darn! Fairweather and here I thought you were on the right side of these arguments. Pun intended.
[Wink]
The US is at very low unemployment (even under current conditions)and you find it ethically wrong to support a person in China who is living under completely destitute conditions in favor of a comparatively fabulously rich person with lots of alternatives in the US?

I just don't get it. Care for kin but not for kind?

PP

While I do believe in "free trade", I reserve the right to make consumer choices based on business ethics. My major point was intended to question why the three gaiters cost the same! It is certainly within Mountain Hardware's and BD's right to make as much profit as the market will bear. This said, why don't they lower the price of their gaiters and compete? It is almost as though the prices of the three gaiters were FIXED. All other things being roughly equal...I'll chose American-made.

As far as "caring"....yes, I DO care more about American/Western (and Japan & So Korea & Rus.Fed.& Taiwan too!) workers than those in communist China. (What can I say?)

[ 08-13-2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

...We've discussed the OP stichmo before at some length...

SIRENS! WHISTLES! ALARMS! BIG-TIME THREAD DRIFT! [Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

Yes, this HAS all been hashed out before [sleep] : http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001858

Okay, let's move on into the future...and to get back on thread, long live Aaron Feuerstein and Malden Mills!

[ 08-13-2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: pindude ]