Climbing in Spain?

TimL

I'll be traveling to Spain in a week and will have some free time to rock climb. I was wondering if anyone has information about climbing in Spain. I am primarily looking for locations around Madrid. Also, I am also looking to see if anyone has information on the Picos De Europa. Primarily, easier routes up the Naranjo De Bulnes. Thanks for any and all beta.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in February and did some stuff at a place called El Chorro, a few hours north of Malaga. Mainly sport climbing but some pretty cool long trad routes exist in the canyon. Probably a bit too hot right now. But the El Chorro Rockfax guide is the book to get. Another cool place is Tarifa. We camped right at the bottom of the cliffs with a view over the Atlantic. You can always cool down at the beach if it gets too hot. The guidebook for that area is called Escalar en Cadiz and is in Spanish. If you're lucky you can get a copy from an English climber who publishes them in Tarifa. He had boxes full of them and gave me and my friend a few extras. Unfortunately I left them all with my friend in Europe.