[TR] Dragontail Peak- F.A.- Der DieHedral 6/27/2004

layton

The NE face of dragontail has nice cracks all over, unforetunately the rock is mostly garbage, and if it is good, it's covered in loose shit from above. I honestly wouldn't bother with Dragonfly or any other route on the NE side. Backbone ridge is pretty much the best line on the mtn, and it's pretty junky too. I think the NE side has had it's day in the sun. The best line still looks like that big dihedral, although I wouldn't expect it to be a very good route. If I was to go back, I would try a line on the other side of the glacier on that huge granite mountain across from the NE face of D-tail. Bring yer aiders though.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about the wall/mtn that is part of the colchuck balanced rock massif, the highest wall up the pass.

I hope wayne posts his info on dragontail. It's confusing b/c it looks different from any aspect or vantage point you look at the NE face from.

p.s. About MisterE and my route.... we're not claiming any big prize. it could have been done, but i doubt it. Just a fun day out with no guidbook, searching for adventure (which we found).

Edited by michael_layton

It was a decently lodged knife. I stood on it, but didn't pull pitty.gif

I may be up for doing the wide dihedral with someone. Need some big gear, I have one each 3.5,4,4.5,5; we would probably need at least one set more, and some big bros.

PM me if interested, the approach is a bit further, but the line goes independent except for maybe 1 or two pitches on the NE ridge.

wazzup.gif Glacier? hahaha.gif

all I know is there are tons of routes just as pretty with much better rock. That being said, Dragontail is a fucking cool place to be shitty rock and all. Gotta love the Fin and the O.W. on backbone! The rest is a blur.

Yes, I also climb things that are 10d (X), and also another plug for "Back of Beyond Buttress" a 10b with solid pro the whole way up and just about if not the best alpine rock climb I've ever done. I was told it is in this years CAJ, and last years AAJ.

So if this is the crux, and you have gear at yer balls, whats with the R part of rating? Is it the semi-loose block, or is there easier runout climbing? Know what I'm saying. 5.10b with a stretch of 5.8R sound cool for many folks. 10b R sounds sketchy for many folks (me included).

3712BelayerSlayerPitch.png

Slaphappy, why the madgo_ron.gif ??

Darrin: The crux is not R, per se, although the gear may kittylitter out.

Below the crux is some 5.9+ climbing (above the Belayer Slayer), where the gear is crap, and if one were to fall, one may pull those pieces and then onto the gear around the lodged block, making it R.

Hope that helps.

Erik

WTF - Slappyhappy asked a legit question. When did it become a rule that you have to be nice all the time. Certainly confrontation adds a little spice to life. Frankly, if your going to moderate a question, even if its not in the laugh.gif tone, then you should moderate the spray reports that are recorded in this forum? thumbs_down.gif