Stuck in a midwestern hell

Jake_Gano

So by some strange karmic just (probably for my sins of being a general purpose asshole), I'm stuck in hell this summer. cry.gif My hell goes by the name of Illinois. For those of you unaquianted with this friendly inferno, drive east til there are no more mountains, and you will find a place standing defiantly against everything columbus taught us, that is, in fact, flat as a pancake. Is there any other poor SOBs that read this site that are like myself stuck in this region? Anyone wanna go out and hit up the local crags like in Shawnee, Devils Lake, hell maybe even Red River Gorge this summer? If so IM me or email jgano2@yahoo.com bigdrink.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Devil's Lake in a great crag, and is 3 hours from Chicago (just north of Madison). That area is super popular with campers though. If you go on weekends during the summer, you will need to reserve a spot well in advance. If you have weekdays off, then no problem. Lakeshore Athletic Club (the downtown location) in the building next to old Amoco Building (now called Aon Center, I believe), is the best indoor spot for keeping in shape.

If you are near Springfield, you should go and check out the Silo. I spent some time in Springfield (land of Lincoln) visiting my sister, in the summer (a level of hell?). She has now moved, thank God. Try Devil's Lake, avoid the wknds. You should climb the Silo, just because it is a silo, and you can say you climbed in a Silo.

Devil's Lake is your only nearby salvation. Or, drive US 94/43/41 N all night until you hit the land where granite and Lake Superior intersect. You can be there in 7-9 hours from Chicago. Try to enjoy the relative lack of vertical relief.

Wow, I'm glad I got a few simpathy replys. Yeah, thanks to all those giving directions to Devil's Lake from Chicago, but you see I'm from the ILLINOIS part of ILLINOIS, not like that city we have somewhere north of here...hehe Willimette? Is that like Chicago? Do you talk funny like they do up there? I'm in a little town called Charleston, about 45 minutes south of Champaign-Urbana and host to Eastern Illinois University. Actually, I'm a lot closer to the southern IL crags than Devil's Lake, say four hours instead of six+. But yeah I know there is climbing around and all, but finding willing partners is the crux. Tell most people in Illinois that you're going rock climbing and they give you this look like you just told them that you're going to slay a dragon. The climbers on climbingcentral.com's forumns all sound about as exciting as watching your grandparents in bed.... I think next summer living in a car in Leav sounds really appealling. Oh well, back to trying to boulder the brick columns on the house... *sigh*