Diabetic climbers

mr.radon

Anyone here have any experiances to share climbing with an insulin dependant diabetic?

I've climbed Mount Rainier and recently Mount Baker with a diabetic friend (also Adams and many other Cascade peaks), he always seems to have troubles on multi-day climbs.

Also, any input for good blood sugar meters?

On Mount Baker my friend carried two meters, there was almost a 30% error between the two. [Confused]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mr.radon, I have an isulin dependant 8 year-old son named 'Tucker' who was diagnosed with diabetes when only 2.5 years-old. PM me and I will give you my number and we'll talk. (Anyone jokes about this topic...I will hunt you down and kill you dead.) Dennis

[ 07-16-2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Harmon ]

A good college friend who is diabetic and I used to take some longer backpacking trips during the summer. He is pretty religious about checking blood sugar levels and good with food preperation and really had no troubles, save for keeping the insulin cold. On one longer trip he used some sort of flexible freezer pack that he cooled in a stream whenever available, seemed to work ok, in a colder setting this might not be an issue.

Sorry, but I know very little about the medical side from a climbing perspective.

I have heard however that some people have found high quality insulated aluminum travel mugs (with screw on lids) to be the perfect container for insulin. I'm unsure if they're protecting it from heat, cold or both.

GB

009, Redmonk and I went up the fuhrer finger a couple of weeks ago with a diabetic. He checked his blood sugar level every hour, and carried several snickers with him. He only had one small problem with his blood level tester freezing up once, but a few minutes under the armpit and it was good as new.

If the diabetic person really takes the time to evaluate his/her nutritional requirements, there is no difference except for the hourly break (which technically isn't all bad).