Omega Pacific Announces End of Inmate Program

tomtom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you were an electrician instead of an e.e. you'd be so busy working you wouldn't have time to spray right now wave.gif

I'm neither. Busy yelrotflmao.gif I watched the Union Electrician indoctrinate his apprentice in the joys of "breaks" while they did work at our plant thumbs_down.gif

As for Shapp's rant - there's something wrong in this country when the average Electrian makes more than the average Electrical Engineer.

Word.

I would just like to point out that this marks the second time that Carl and I have been in agreement on an issue, and this time, it involves the labor market. If the end wasn't nigh before, now its time to duck and cover....

This is the market correcting for an oversupply of electrical enginners and an undersupply of electricians. It will last until some of the ee's decide to retrain and get an electrician's ticket.

Try a market distortion caused by the very effective Electricians union.

Hell now he's even anticipating my replies. I give Carl my proxy vote on this argument from this point on.

Or get call centers going, where prisoners take calls and do marketing. NOT.

There is (or was until recently) a call center for telemarketers at the Monroe State Penitentary. I guess it's all monitored pretty closely and any type of horseing around get's you solitary for the next millenium. You could probably find something on Google as there was some kind of media upheaval not too long ago.

I have a relative who worked at the Monroe prison for several years, teaching inmates a trade through a program administered by Everett Community College. He still has inmates call him up and thank him for giving them the ability to make a living once they were released.

I prefer the idea of businesses actually performing "on the job" training for inmates instead of convicted criminals getting a journeyman's certification at the taxpayer's expense.

Even in times when there are not enough jobs to go around for regular law-abiding citizens?

Yup. If those inmates were pulling their own weight and supporting a business it would be less burden on the tax payers or maybe that education budget could go to someone who's in need of retraining or how about reducing tuition at the state schools.

Move this sucka to spray already!

No, but that should be rectified by reducing the business' advantage, not by shutting down the program.

One of the major differences is that non-inmates have the legal right to organize.

Which would you prefer:

Eliminating that right for non-inmates....

....or establishing it for inmates?

How does that affect anything? Inmates shouldn't have the same rights as the rest of us. For example, I would not support their right to own a firearm when they are in prison.

But answer my question. Why doesn't everybody employ all the inmates they can?

Everybody doesn't employ all the inmates they can because it's not even legal most places.

The thing OP fails to mention is that there was a court ruling that required them to suspend their prison labor program. I think there was something about it in the first thread about them discontinuing the program.

And it's okay that businesses who use inmate labor are at an extreme business advantage over those who use non-inmate labor?

Sounds good to me. thumbs_up.gif

Say, Bronco, how's that penitentiary treatin' you these days? hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

I get out in a couple months. Bubba says "HI BITCH!" pitty.gif

The thing OP fails to mention is that there was a court ruling that required them to suspend their prison labor program. I think there was something about it in the first thread about them discontinuing the program.

Ummm, Allison, it's in the Press Release on the Omega-Pacific website.

The announcement comes on the heels of a May 13, 2004 ruling by the Washington State Supreme court which declares participation in the Class I Correctional Industries program inconsistent with constitutional language. Omega Pacific has been a participating member of the combined federal/State program since 1995 and has built the majority of their goods within the Airway Heights Medium Security Correctional Center outside Spokane, Washington. The State Supreme Court had been considering this ruling, which affects seven companies and approximately 175 jobs held by inmate workers, for several months before reaching a 5-4 decision.

well, this move now allows Omega Pacific carabiners to be imported into Canada, not that i imagine that had much bearing on the decision. the law up here forbids importation of ANY products produced by prison labour - no judgement is applied on whether it's "voluntary" or not, and the USA is treated no differently under Canadian law than, say, China or Myanmar (to single out a couple particularly repressive "employers").

sleep well...

cheers,

GLUT OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS! boxing_smiley.gif there is an oversupply of "skilled professions" and an undersupply of trades throughout N America right now. "Even" lowly positions like arborists although it doesnt take much skill to cut a tree down right Kurt boxing_smiley.gif

funny....a quick search of monster.com shows over 2700 jobs available for electrical engineers.

monster EE search

and 860 for 'electrician'.

Granted, most companies looking for electricians aren't going to advertise on Monster.com, but it seems there's a demand for Elec Engrs.

The IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) has 780,000 members.

The IEEE (EE prof association) has 360,00 members.

A unionized workforce is less flexible than a nonunion workforce - less firing, and less hiring.