Ronald Reagan

Fat_Teddy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's ironic that the whole GOP swindle may have been inadvertantly set in motion by the dumbo Ayatollahs in Iran, who made a deal with Republicans to hang on to the embassy hostages until immediately after the election, which for much of the campaign season was looking like a very close call. Their payback was arranged by Lieut. Oliver North, I suppose.

Dru and johndavidjr; you are both idiot-tools.

Ronald Reagan: When I was in college Reagan-bashing was in full swing. Being the mindless drone that most students are, I bought into the whole scene. Only later, with the real world around me did I realize how great a man, and president he really was. The greatest president of my lifetime. His face belongs on Mount Rushmore. Rest In Peace.

Reagan was an idiot. He wasted YOUR TAX MONEY running up a deficit on bullshit military technology that did not work (Star Wars). If he had been a liberal and done the same thing you would have been frothing for his blood. He presided over the growing influence of the Christian fundamentalists in American politics. Glad to see him go.

Dru said, "Excuse me while I make an ass out of myself. I am nobody wishing I could be somebody like Ronald Reagan."

You (and others) can say what you want about the man's policies, but don't shit on the character of this important 20th Century figure on his death day. You will never be 1/90th the man he was throughout his 90+ years.

rolleyes.gif

The fact alone that the christian coallition didn't like him makes him better than your average republican in my eyes:

Another conservative, Ralph Reed, former executive director of the Christian Coalition, viewed the Reagan presidency with chagrin: “His eight years in office did little to transform a political culture that had become insensitive to religious values and uncaring about innocent human life.”

Also, Dru, a whole lot of people, some liberals included, do believe that reagan's spend spend spend military budget had a good deal to do with bringing the soviet union to collapse as quickly as it did.

My dad, who is as liberal as they come, has agreed, saying that it may well have brought the cold war to an early end.

Like I said, I don't know much about Reagan, but looking at what he did, he seems to be vastly superior to the pile of shit the republican party has become. You certainly can't compare him to the likes of either bush, cheney, rumsfled, orrin hatch, asscroft, ternt lott, newt gingrich, and so on and so on...

The fact alone that the christian coallition didn't like him makes him better than your average republican in my eyes:

Another conservative, Ralph Reed, former executive director of the Christian Coalition, viewed the Reagan presidency with chagrin: “His eight years in office did little to transform a political culture that had become insensitive to religious values and uncaring about innocent human life.”

Also, Dru, a whole lot of people, some liberals included, do believe that reagan's spend spend spend military budget had a good deal to do with bringing the soviet union to collapse as quickly as it did.

My dad, who is as liberal as they come, has agreed, saying that it may well have brought the cold war to an early end.

Like I said, I don't know much about Reagan, but looking at what he did, he seems to be vastly superior to the pile of shit the republican party has become. You certainly can't compare him to the likes of either bush, cheney, rumsfled, orrin hatch, asscroft, ternt lott, newt gingrich, and so on and so on...

Also, I just realized that I think the two bushes are probably the only presidents I cannot respect in any way. All the rest, independent of their policies, I can say that they were a president, and I respect them. The two bushes (the latter especially) are such completely incompetent asshats that I cannot express any sort of respect for them.

Fairweather: If you remove value reference (swindle) my post above is merely historical fact & in that regard I do wish you'd read either of Kevin Phillips books from 1990s about so-called Reaganomics.

Of course johndavidjr, if it is in print...then it must be true!

You are even more of a tool now than you were in my above post.

Why do so many of those on the left dance on the graves of those they hate politically? I don't see the same level of hatred from the right. I certainly would not feel joy if Bill Clinton or Ted Kennedy passed on.

Dru epitomizes the 'culture of death' that is the left. BTW, that picture you posted was an outrage. Again.... fuck off, Canadian.

Puget---Your link above is to a highly partisan interpretation of political history, a polemic rather than the exposition of economics that it may appear at first blush. Phillips, too, indulges in some interpretation from his own point of view as a moderate Republican, but he presents plenty of raw numbers which incontrovertably demonstrate how Reagan's people (many of whom now operate the current administration) shifted the tax burden on to the middle class from the wealthy. Phillips also provides the numbers that clearly show how the greatest period of U.S. economic growth (roughly 1950s to late Vietnam era), coincided with the highest historical tax burden on the wealthy (including JFK's comparatively trivial tax cuts.) He also includes interesting data on the oil shocks of 1970s, the oil glut of 1980s, as well as payroll taxes like Social Security, which GOP partisans generally omit from debate. His personal bottom line (not necessarily my view) is that weakening the middle class weakens the social and political fabric, & he draws some interesting & somewhat ominous parallels with the history of various empires, especially England. If nothing else, the USA is now more politically polarized than previously.

Edited by johndavidjr

Yeah Peter, obviously that's a great way to put Dru in his place...a comparison of penis size between the US and Canada. rolleyes.gif

Dru may or may not be an idiot, but our neighbors to the north have a lot going for them...lower murder rates, resonably sane health care, etc..

I find it laughable taht you also post some sort of support for his economic principles. It's ok to admit that his performance in that department was sorely lacking, but he did other good things. No president is going to get everything right.

Edited by JoshK

We've noticed. rolleyes.gif

What have they done that deserves any sort of respect? In both cases the country has been worse off 4 years after they started in office.

History is the final judge, and my guess is 50 years from now, GB2 will be regarded as one of the poorest presidents in history.

Puget---Your link above is to a highly partisan interpretation of political history, a polemic rather than the exposition of economics that it may appear at first blush. Phillips, too, indulges in some interpretation from his own point of view as a moderate Republican, but he presents plenty of raw numbers which incontrovertably demonstrate how Reagan's people (many of whom now operate the current administration) shifted the tax burden on to the middle class from the wealthy. Phillips also provides the numbers that clearly show how the greatest period of U.S. economic growth (roughly 1950s to late Vietnam era), coincided with the highest historical tax burden on the wealthy (including JFK's comparatively trivial tax cuts.) He also includes interesting data on the oil shocks of 1970s, the oil glut of 1980s, as well as payroll taxes like Social Security, which GOP partisans generally omit from debate. His personal bottom line (not necessarily my view) is that weakening the middle class weakens the social and political fabric, & he draws some interesting & somewhat ominous parallels with the history of various empires, especially England. If nothing else, the USA is now more politically polarized than previously.

Davidj -

It appears to be to anyone who cares enough to read the introduction exactly what it is. Without a doubt the 26 pages provide the most concise introduction to supply side thought i have seen. There are enough references there to occupy a person for many a cold winter night.

PP

’Cause he’s always living back in Dixon

Circa 1949

And we’re all sitting at the fountain

At the five and dime

’Cause he’s living in some b-movie

The lines they are so clearly drawn

In black and white life is so easy

And we’re all coming along on this one

’Cause he’s on a secret mission

Headquarters just radioed in

He left his baby at the dancehall