Quality womans approach pack ???

alpine_freak

ok

for youse girlys out there, and i know you are , give me some feedback on some quality approach packs you may find to fit you well, consider my lady friend is 5'5''. thanks and i hope to see you out on the peaks. i've been looking at the bora 50. any thoughts

peace

af

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend any of the current Bora packs unless your lady friend has no hips. They redesigned the waist belt a couple years ago and the current unisex model bruised my hips for a week after a 3 day backpack trip with under 25lbs.

I recommend checking out some of the lightweight Black Diamond packs. I have one that you can pull the back support out of and it weighs about 1#. Perfect summit pack for multiday alpine routes. It also carries a full rack and rope comfortably for day trips.

her height doesn't matter so much as the length of her back. 5'5" is not freakishly short for pack sizing unless she's all legs and no torso.

yeah, and width. i find even the "small" hipbelts to not be small enough sometimes. but i'm also a bit shorter than your lady friend. what kind of approach pack are you looking for?

but i'm also a bit shorter than your lady friend.

Have you tried a chalk bag? grin.gif

There is a Golite pack on clearance in Mountain gear and reioutlet.com. It is 2700-3100 and weighs 1lb 14oz. MG only has the medium but rei has M and S. I don't know how they fit women but they are light and cheap. Hope this helps!

It's really all about getting out there and trying on a bunch of packs. There are some newer designs that have a hip belt contoured to fit the female hips, can't describe it exactly, but she'll know it when she feels it. If it's for carrying a load of, say 25 pounds or more, twin webbing adjusters on each side of the belt help with the fine-tuning. Some of the packs out there have shoulder straps that are better-contoured to fit around breasts and deal with narrow shoulders and such.

just picked up the marmot diva. love this pack. hated it until i got it adjusted properly but now...perfect. seems to ride better then a lot of men's packs i've had.

a rack and rope easily fit on it. it's designed to carry skis beautifully as well as your ice tools. great all purpose pack. haven't had it loaded w/much more than 20-25#s yet. at that weight it carried beautifully.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay...so what if you are only 5'4, all legs and no torso? Any recommendations? I tried a few different junior sizes but the proportions and balance seemed off. Need something that will fit around/over boobs but not too heavy. The Black Diamonds were uncomfy from the get go. confused.gif

i said it earlier in this thread, i'll reiterate. the marmot diva in small. i'm 5'4"ish and have a pretty small torso. i regularly buy jr. jackets and other clothes b/c of it. the only thing i can say is that this pack fits, has enough adjustments to make sure it fits, and is comfortable. the only caveat is this...load it carefully or else it can ride a little funky.

I also can't say enough about getting a pack with a frame (or soft back) sized for a small person... The Valhalla is my first "girl" sized pack, and I have been SO pleased. It's a size small with the adjustable frame set down 4 or 5 'slots'. It's like night and day to have something fit ya right. I've carried upwards to 40lbs in it, and with good packing it still rides very well.

just my .02