Trail Running - Pack?

Blake

I want to do quite a bit of trail running/jogging this summer in the NCNP to stay in shape without access to a gym. Never really done this very much before though. Any advice for a little pack that I could stick water, a powerbar, and maybe an extra shirt or mp3 player into that wouldn't bounce all around on me? (maybe just like a small hip pack?) Do they even make these things? Any shoe or other recomendations?

Thanks wave.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have tough ass ankles, and are really gunning for speed, use soft spike XC spikes... if not trail runners... as for packs, I use a value village fanny pack held close with a wrap of duct tape around the hips... this takes a bit of practice to get the right tension, but it is cheap and it works the best of any system i have found. have fun and watch the downhills... thumbs_up.gif

Blake:

Yes they make them; quite a few actually. The pack size will be determined by how far/long you will be running/out. What kind of distances are you looking at?

Generally, people start to carry packs/fanny packs when water and/or food isn’t readily accessible on the trail. Almost all ultramarathons (defined as any distance over 26.2 miles or a marathon) have aid stations throughout the course, so people generally don’t need to carry much. However, for your training runs, you will need to carry fuel.

For distances under ~25 miles or under 2 hours I wear a fuel belt or I will carry two of these.

For distances over ~25 miles or runs over 2 hours I carry a salomon xa pro packvest. Hot but carries great (see it on the site). Before that I wore a trail runner backpack from them; also carried well. Whatever you get, make sure it will carry just what you need (camelbak sleeve, etc.) and nothing more. Ultra running is a lot like alpine climbing; less on your back means faster on the trail.

Shoe wise wear what fits. Go to a dedicated trail running shop (preferable with a treadmill) and get fitted. I wear montrail, but only because they fit.

If you really get into trail running, here are some other links I found amazingly helpful as I first got into the sport.

Excellent info/discussion and links on 100 milers: www.run100s.com

Another excellent ultra site: www.ultrunr.com

The ultimate in outdoor sports fuel (they sell ATP in a pill!): www.e-caps.com

Races: www.ultrarunner.net

Magazine/Books/Races: www.ultrarunning.com

PM me if you need more (I get the feeling this is more than you wanted); or ever want to go running.

For distances over ~25 miles or runs over 2 hours...

The first time I read that sentance I inferred you were running 25 miles in two hours - shesh ;-)

Here's one more fun link w/ good photos:

http://www.volcanorunning.com/

On a related theme, does anyone who uses the slanted waterbottles, like the UD Access, have trouble with them falling out?

access.jpg

The first time I read that sentance I inferred you were running 25 miles in two hours - shesh ;-)

I was gonna call bullshit on running 12.5mph on trails for 2 hours straight too, until I re-read it smile.gif

I want to do quite a bit of trail running/jogging this summer in the NCNP to stay in shape without access to a gym. Never really done this very much before though. Any advice for a little pack that I could stick water, a powerbar, and maybe an extra shirt or mp3 player into that wouldn't bounce all around on me? (maybe just like a small hip pack?) Do they even make these things? Any shoe or other recomendations?

Thanks wave.gif

I bought a hip pack, but rarely use it. Personally I think wearing a camelback or hip pack is more of a nuissance, although I don't run more than 10 miles at a time, so I find drinking water before and carrying a bottle is enough. Cheaper too.

My old Ultimate Direction pack has served me well.

The hip belt design carries the load without bouncing.

Snugtop is right, carring nothing is the best, but the smaller pack offers a place to keep the ipod, keys and treats.

We like to run out at Red Rocks, great trails and excellent all mountain training with incredible views!

I use the Gregory Swift. It's light and very comfortable. It carries 70 ounces of water and still has room for a powerbar. It also has a single daisy in the bottom center of the pack that you might be able to strap a shirt to. Here's a link to mountain gear that has them on clearance for 39.98. Peace. http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/level3_id/0/item/102927/level2_title/

I was gonna call bullshit on running 12.5mph on trails for 2 hours straight too, until I re-read it smile.gif

12.5 mph for two hours... no problem… don’t you people know I’m Alberto Salazar? wink.gifyelrotflmao.gif

I'm lucky to keep 10 mph for 26.2.

Since we are on the subject (sorry to hijack the thread) are there any trad/alpine climbers out there that also run marathon/ultra marathon distances? I'd love to do some running link ups this summer... an acquaintance of mine ran the approach, climbed stuart n. ridge and ran the descent car to car (Long's pass both ways!) in 8 hours 2 or 3 summers ago and I'd like to see how I would fair...

Holla at your boy!