Good thread...

RuMR

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An uncool sandbagging example would be when a friend of mine posted on here claiming the great gendarme variation on n. ridge of stuart is 5.7-5.8 tops, a set of hexes will get you up no prob. Sandbagging is perhaps more fun if it is a single pitch bolted line w/ little consequence.

you guys need to read the thread b4 commenting...it doesn't have anything to do w/ the stuff your talking about...well, iaxx's is relevent...

i'm not "commenting" on your supertaco crosspost, i'm telling you about my second most effective sandbag to date smirk.gif

Well, Dru, that's an impressive sandbag. But it begs the question ... What was your most impressive sandbag to date (and how do you intend to top it)?

And on a related note, do any scholars know where the term sandbag originated or how it entered the climbers' lexicon?

whether sandbagging purposefully (by opposition to unconsciously because of one's large ego) or while giving honest beta, it seems one should try to assess the competence of the party involved. or at least state some kind of disclaimer as to the overall experience/knowledge necessary for climbing in general. in this litigious society, shouldn't one consider the potential legal consequences for giving wrong or incomplete beta to the unexperienced?

It is my understanding that the term "sandbagging" came from the days when fishermen used sailboats to reach the fishing grounds. In order to make their boats faster upwind on the way out they would pile sandbags on the windward rail as ballast to keep the boat flat. For the downwind trip home, they would dump the sand out. Later when yacht racing became popular, the practice of sandbagging was considered unfair.

But if the sandbagged party makes a successful ascent/onsight of said problem (i.e. the '5.9+' was actually 11b), then they sent it as the coveted 'Sandbag flash,' perhaps one of the most honorable ascent styles (with bad info/beta being of less value thant good beta), even if the beta provider was dishonorable in his/her information.