Cdn Rockies ice in late March

JoshK

Where would be the best bet to find some still-in ice in the cdn rockies after March 20. It looks like I am going to be up there anyway for other reasons and hope to possibly escape for an ice climb or two. I've heard rumors that there is stuff that stays in that late? Any tips?

thanks,

-josh

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

field usually is into april, sometimes may. i did professors on may 2nd too. shades of beauty. slipstream lasta till may/ june. for cool alpine check andromeda strain, asteroid alley, sidestreet should be in too. watch out for avalanches. menditory early starts.

also murchinsons will be in (no avi danger there)

riptide should be in too. Bow Falls also.

i will be there till 15th, so i will update what's in by then. ciao- r

terminator approach ice is in and connected with postscriptum will give you a pretty long day. that face is in the shade all day long. nemesis will be in, sourcerer and hydro still should be in also. anyway, the point is that mar 20th isn't all that late for the rockies, so you should be able to climb plenty.

for a long day try to go to helmet falls.

Sweet, thanks a lot for the info. I am going to be on a road trip with my girlfriend, and she expressed interest in trying an ice climb, so I think that puts slipstream out of the question. wink.gif Not like I'd have a chance in hell of climbing it any way.

Shades of beauty was a really nice climb, maybe we'll go try that.

Hey glassgokiss, does the strain get climbed very often in the late winter or spring. I had always thought of it as a fall route. After seeing the condition the lower couloir was in last fall after a hot and dry summer I was thinking to myself that maybe spring might make better. What do you think?

no rule here. gets done spring and fall. fall is better- no cornice. i know it did get climb by a friend of my last october. most of people i know they did it sept/oct. just depends on the year.

i almost went in early june. the weather sucked, t-storms every afternoon and then it turn to crap.