Wild Coutry Zeros vs. Aliens BATTLECAGE

layton

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've flown onto all my aliens a ton and they've always held, even the black one. If they'd just ramp up their quality control, I'd buy them again.

So would I, but I'll never trust CCH. I logged a lot of air time on my vintage black, and it's been fine. Then again, I don't get much time on granite.

I've broken a #2 Zero and saw the remnants of a friend's broken #3 or 4 Zero. They're just not made for leading climbing and horizontal placements if you weigh 200 or more pounds. BTW, I've also watched purple TCU's get mauled and wrecked a couple of 00's myself. We knew the potential for failure, and we honestly were never very surprised when we failed the gear. Horizontals and big guys aren't a very safe mix for cams.

Yes, I did place an "aid" piece on a free climb. I've done it before, and if I have to, i'll do it again. I'd rather have the piece disintegrate under load than have nothing at all.

And yes, the Z3 and Z4 are rated to 6kN...But think about what happens when a 240 pound person falls on an early piece. Shoot, one guy I used to climb with was 6'7" 325#. He wouldn't trust anything under 9kn to hold him, and he'd screamer the little stuff and back it up if at all possible.

We busted the Metolius stuff by taking repeated whippers on them, turning them after they got bent, and fully recognizing that we were way, way, way beyond what any piece of gear should be able to survive. I trust the Metolius TCU's much more than the Zeros. You can tell when they're, erm, under stress.

Like I said, I don't blame them for failing...they didn't fail, they were exposed to greater than their limit. But if you even think about comparing Zeros to (perfectly made, therefore mythical ;) )Aliens, I'm arguing that it makes sense to consider that my experience is that a 200 pound guy will fail all of the Zeros first.

Just one of those many things that makes leading fun, huh?

I love aliens. I have red, yellow, green, blue. Place red and yellow most often, fall on green most often. I am really bummed about the recent issues. I really want to buy more of them (replacement yellow and the new grey), but am concerned about quality. For now, I will wait. I hate the TCUs/Power Cams and definitely won't buy those. Don't know what else would do. Maybe Tech Friends or C4s (both of which I like in larger sizes).