Last Day of Winter?

Colin

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

technically, winter ends at the EXACT MOMENT the sun "crosses the equator" (you technically fixated types can understand what I really mean is the moment when sunlight incident on the equator is exactly perpendicular to the ground surface with neither north or south tilt) Geek_em8.gif

The most precise definition of the equinox is the moment when the sun crosses a fixed point in the celestial sphere (i.e. the imaginary sphere surrounding the earth) corresponding to zero degrees celestial latitude. On most of the earth, this will not happen at noon, and on half of the earth, it will happen at night. Ancient peoples could fix these celestial events to within a day, which ought to be precise enough for most of us-- but in the chronically sunlight-deprived state I've lived in ever since settling in the Northwest, I find consolation in knowing the exact moment of these events, especially the solstices. (June 20th at 5:57 pm this year, if I remember right.)