I guess I was wrong...

chelle

Fundamentalist snaf.gif = homegrown terrorist

Scrambled,

You bore me. Why don't you run along now with your fundamentalist funkies and join the Army of God so you can harass some abortionists? cantfocus.gif

I suppose you believe the earth is only 6000 years old too? You and Gish probably also believe that humans and dinosaurs coexisted?

The people who fall for Gish's arguments aren't known for their intellectual prowess. yellaf.gif

Edited by Stonehead

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So why hasn't anyone offered the obvious possibility of us being planted here by beings from another planet? I saw a UFO once. Totally serious. My whole neighborhood was out on the street watching it for twenty minutes or so. It was about 1963 in Missoula. There was no doubt in anyone's minds about what we had just seen. It went away and never came back as far as we know. I would have a very hard time beleiving this if I had not been there. So, if there are intelligent life forms travelling the gallexy, how does that effect our cosmology? Our science?

If aliens were to land in Times Square and announce "take me to your leader", some of us will decide they are gods and worship them, while others will decide they are invaders and want to kill them, scientists will want to study them, politicians will try to curry their favor. It would be very interesting to say the least.

How would it affect our cosmology? Good question. It would tend to support what many scientists like Carl Sagan were saying, which is that our sun is a rather ordinary star and there are other star systems out there with planets similar to earth that could support life.

If an alien were to give me a drop of its blood, it be willing to bet the cells therein would contain DNA. The codons might be different and the number of amino acids might be different, but it would be DNA nonetheless.

The question of wether or not "aliens" exist is, for me, similar to the question of wether or not God exists. If you have had a direct experience or were influenced by a parent at an early age, you will probably believe. If not, not.

So before anyone decides for themselves, they should take a quick look at where their family leaned and then decide if they are going to follow that path blindly or be willing to branch out.

Just an opinion.

Who's to say that alien life has to be solely represented by organic life?

Copernicus demoted humanity by removing Earth from the center of the universe. Darwin showed that, rather than being made in God's image, people were merely products of nature's experimentation. Now, advances in fields as disparate as computer science and genetics are dealing our status another blow. Researchers are learning that markets and power grids have much in common with plants and animals. Their findings lead to a startling conclusion: Life isn't the exception, but the rule.

We're beginning to discern life processes at their fundamental level, and as we re-create these processes in silico, we're starting to see how they work in inorganic settings. It turns out that many of life's properties - emergence, self-organization, reproduction, coevolution - show up in systems generally regarded as nonliving.

The question of wether or not "aliens" exist is, for me, similar to the question of wether or not God exists. If you have had a direct experience or were influenced by a parent at an early age, you will probably believe. If not, not.

So before anyone decides for themselves, they should take a quick look at where their family leaned and then decide if they are going to follow that path blindly or be willing to branch out.

Just an opinion.

My personal opinion or "belief" if you will, is that aliens exist, but that they are many light years away with no practical way to get here. I have yet to see convincing evidence that they have ever visited the earth. You may have seen an unexplained phenomenon in 1963, but it wasn't necessarily a spaceship from another planet, and it didn't leave behind any physical evidence, so I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

OK Doc. cool.gif

While I do not stay up nights wondering about it, I have no doubt that it was a vising craft. In fact, from my perspective, I have more proof that it exists than that you exist. grin.gif Quick. Look in the mirror and tell us what you see. No wait. You need a witness to phone it in.

It may not have had living things on it but it was not from earth. After hovering over Missoula for awhile, it turned up and south and flashed into space like a streak of light. Pretty cool. I want a ride around Mars but at sub-light please. I suspect that would be like helicoptering over the Amazon and offering a native a ride.

Hi. I'm from earth. Is this a space ship? Geek_em8.gif

Fundamentalist snaf.gif = homegrown terrorist

Scrambled,

You bore me. Why don't you run along now with your fundamentalist funkies and join the Army of God so you can harass some abortionists? cantfocus.gif

I suppose you believe the earth is only 6000 years old too? You and Gish probably also believe that humans and dinosaurs coexisted?

The people who fall for Gish's arguments aren't known for their intellectual prowess. yellaf.gif

You think Fundamentalists = Terrorist??? What kind of twisted hillbilly are you???? The terrorists are all extreme views of a fundamental belief! If you do believe I'm a terrorist why do I bore you??? have you no fear??? Your pot-fried ass is about to be scrambled!!!

the_finger.gif

Why don't you go smoke some more pot and dream of those hairy apes which you want to prove scientifically that its o.k. to make love to.

HCL.gif

Oh and by the way, I don't consider myself to be a christian but like to defend their beliefs over some hairbrained conception thats been outdated years ago.

fruit.gif

So the premise is, that aliens could travel millions of light years across the universe successfully only to crash land on earth?

Or that aliens would travel all those light years only to stick an anal probe up some hillybilly's ass?

I'll vote for the anal probing. Don't you think it would be fun to travel light years to fuck with other creatures? What do you think we do over there in Area 51? I bet that there is at least one anal probe in that facility!

CBS your comments remind me of that movie where these kids build a spaceship in their backyard, and then they go up into space and meet some aliens who turn out to also be kids that took their parents spaceship on a little joy ride. So maybe, if they are tourists, then ANAL PROBE.

Alien 1: "Hey if you guys are looking for a good time, go to earth and trap a human and stick this probe up their butts. They hate that"

Alien 2: "Classic!"

Supposing you were the aliens studying a primitive race such as humans on a distant planet. What sort of information would your scientific study be looking for? Maybe you are just a tourist out for shits and giggles. Whether you were a scientist or a tourist would make a huge impact on how you behaved.

Kind of like what the colonial powers did to just about every 'primitive' race they came across here on Earth.

Well they exploited the natural resources after sowing disease among the native population, and/or they exploited the population itself.

So do you think AIDS was left behind by some visiting Aliens to soften us up?

CBS, have you ever heard of the principle of parsimony and Occam's razor? Basically, no need to complicate explanations, use the simpliest answer that fits the evidence.

Well they exploited the natural resources after sowing disease among the native population, and/or they exploited the population itself.

So do you think AIDS was left behind by some visiting Aliens to soften us up?

CBS, have you ever heard of the principle of parsimony and Occam's razor? Basically, no need to complicate explanations, use the simpliest answer that fits the evidence.

If you really believed that you'd be all over MOND instead of dark energy and M-theory smirk.gif

My secret hope is that the evolutionary theory of punctuated equilibrium is true and takes a small isolated group of humans to 'the next level'. Those super humans will be smarter than us, much more capable physically, and will likely have additional sensory perceptions.

They will save us from ourselves, restructure worldwide politics and commerce to the good of the planet, stop or slow our unbounded population growth, and make life better for all of us.

Hopefully this species already exists and is just increasing its numbers and leverage before revealing itself.

Oh SHIT! I just realized this is exactly what our beloved Bush administration is doing! (said with loads of sarcasm)