Gold Prices

catbirdseat

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you knuckleheads had read the article, you would have seen that all precious metal prices are rising, including silver. Furthermore, there WAS some gold recovered in Monte Cristo along with the silver. A friend of mine who is a mining expert claims that there is far more gold there than anyone realized at the time, because it was hidden from them in the form of telluride. They only had technology at that time for recovering gold and silver from sulfide mineral.

If you knuckleheads had read the article, you would have seen that all precious metal prices are rising, including silver. Furthermore, there WAS some gold recovered in Monte Cristo along with the silver. A friend of mine who is a mining expert claims that there is far more gold there than anyone realized at the time, because it was hidden from them in the form of telluride. They only had technology at that time for recovering gold and silver from sulfide mineral.

The Monte Cristo area was known more as a lead-silver district. Gold and other metals extracted from the ores were likely incidential but if the price of these metals are high enough then the difference in quantity is made up for. For example, the Southeast Missouri lead district primarily extracts lead with lesser amounts of silver and cadmium. The price of lead was too low to be economical but the cadmium and silver prices were high enough to keep the mines operating.

BTW, the sulfide ores are also high in arsenic content. The smelter for the Monte Cristo mines was located at Everett and the influence of that activity still exists. Check the Washington State Dept. of Ecology site.

That ore is indeed very high in arsenic. In fact, they extracted it for agricultural use shocked.gif.

If you go visit the old concentrator site, you will notice that there isn't a lot of plant life growing there to this day. The reason for that, I believe, is the arsenic in the crushed ore that was spilled all over the place.

has it come to this, a discussion about fluctuating gold prices? I plan to start a thread on the current status of my toilet paper roll. Right now there are at least 10 sheets left, perhaps enough for 3 more sessions. I'll have an update in 10 minutes.

These are desperate times, aren't they? wink.gif

Actually, the mining history of Monte Cristo is pretty darn interesting. Klenke, I know, had read a bit on it.

Hey Catbirdseat. There is a tie-in to climbing:

As documented in the mid-1800s, mountaineers of central Austria (Styria) made a habit of consuming arsenic preparations once or twice a week as a general stimulant and tonic. They became known as "arsenic eaters," and some were reputed to have adopted the practice as a means of building up a tolerance against poisoning by their enemies. The acquisition of a modest degree of tolerance has, in fact, been documented in laboratory animals, but its physiological basis is not clear.
Source

I had a better article about the arsenic eaters but I lost it. It described how arsenic was believed to increase stamina and/or assist in acclimitization of these climbers who smuggled goods across this mountainous region of Austria.

Yeah, the build up of arsenic (if possible) would be sort of akin to antivenin for snake bites. The antivenin is made of venom or created from the venom itself. A tolerance build up. Or maybe I'm all wet on this matter. I just had an ear coning done today and I think the apothecary melted some of my brains too.

Yes, I read Harry Major's Monte Cristo book recently. His book makes no mention of this telluride but then the book did come out in '77.

has it come to this, a discussion about fluctuating gold prices? I plan to start a thread on the current status of my toilet paper roll. Right now there are at least 10 sheets left, perhaps enough for 3 more sessions. I'll have an update in 10 minutes.

10 sheets = 3 sessions? Do you shave your ass or something?

I don't expect anyone will take medical advice from here rather than see an expert. It's interesting though how some people have zero tolerance for certain substances that are classified as a carcinogen. Yet there are other carcinogens we don't mind for example gasoline with benzene is also a carcinogen. I read a list compiled by UC Berkeley biochemist, Bruce Ames, that describes common household carcinogens that we readily accept. These carcinogens include such things as beer and improperly stored peanut butter. Nature also produces carcinogens in quantity. Pine oils (PAHs)are one naturally occurring carcinogen.

Some substances are poisons or carcinogens by virtue of their dosage. Water is harmless isn't it? Well drinking too much water can be very harmful and has led to coma and death.

All substances are poisons. There is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiate a poison from a remedy. Dose makes the poison.

--Paracelsius

Edited by scrambler

I was thinking of arsenic in the classic apocathery poison sense, as in Flaubert's Madame Bovary where she tries to kill herself with arsenic to end the perceived pain of her existance and ironically ends up dying in a horrible and painful way. or something like that.

GOLD = MINING = MONTE CRISTO = MOUNTAINS

I'll stand with Catbird this time. The thread is CLEARLY climbing related! And much more interesting than politics!

Okay, trask, you trasked for it...

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif.the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif.............the_finger.gif.............the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif......the_finger.gif........the_finger.gif

.........the_finger.gif.........the_finger.gif.......... the_finger.gif.......the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif....the_finger.gif............................the_finger.gif...the_finger.gif

.........the_finger.gif.........the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif.....the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif...the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif......the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

.........the_finger.gif.........the_finger.gif....the_finger.gif.......the_finger.gif..............the_finger.gif......................the_finger.gif..the_finger.gif...the_finger.gif

.........the_finger.gif.........the_finger.gif.......the_finger.gif.the_finger.gif...................the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif....the_finger.gif........the_finger.gif