Will Gadd, Megalomaniac

Doctorb

So, I was thumbing through his new book, and find a picture with a caption claiming he and his buds did the first winter ascent of Howse Peak. Sure, their route was sick, and they didn't use jumars, but IMHO, it takes a supreme dick to deny that M16 was not a valid ascent.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think so. they are the first team actually to summit via that face. that's for one. second, noone was plucked by helicopter off the face. team "brotherhood" did not go all the way to the top, that's for one. second- the articles that followed.... i mean give me a fucking brake. it was like "while i was jumaring up i was looking at the pitch and maybe only 10 people in the world could do it!" it was kind of wankfest. i don't think Steve had much to do with it, but that's the part of the deal.

i know will and by no means he is megalomaniac. as the matter of fact it might be one of the hardest alpine routes on this side of the pond.

WTF are you talking about Gnibmilc? You're not making sense dude.

sorry. what i meant to say was "cooooool!" great article, well written, ton's of insight into head pace, the feeling after a real tough climb for someone's ability, a good explaination of the "line", subtle testestrone laden yelping, young/old bonding, etc. An extremely good link, Will. I don't get the mags anymore, just buy the Alpinist for freinds as gift(s) and read the occasional old or very old mag...you know that phase when you don't care to read the mags anymore... That was a really neat way to change the topic of bashing Will Gadd to a respectful and entertaining accolade. sorry for the confusion and thanks for calling me on the lame post and yes, I owned the real Alpinist article (gave my copy to my 4 year old niece) and was looking for confirmation that the article was edited in a slightly less than flattering way, but didn't really know.

This mountain has been climbed on in winter a number of times. Some dude that I was climbing in the Rockies with last summer has done a route in winter on it. I dont think it was one of these 2 but whatevah.

It doesnt have to go to the true summit to be a route. THat has been acknowledged...

strictland, whats up this this statement,"...was on Dec 5, so technically that ain't winter"...? confused.gif Since when is early december in Canada not winter?

whats up with Will not updating his web site in a month...sheesh what a slacker. he must be off climbing somewhere...how dumb rolleyes.gifbigdrink.gif

"Winter" ascents are only valid under Calendar winter which starts at the equinox and continues until the solstice. Early Dec can have little or no snow and no avvy hazxard making it not true winter conditions.

In Scotland you can make a winter ascent at any time of year as long as the route is covered with snow or hoarfrost and the temperature is at or below freezing. HCL.gif

strictland, whats up this this statement,"...was on Dec 5, so technically that ain't winter"...? confused.gif Since when is early december in Canada not winter?

Doctor B said they (Gadd et all) claimed the first winter ascent. It seemed to me that such a claim was being made because the House/Backes/Blanchard ascent didn't go to the summit (it actually appears that it was the publisher who goofed that one, see Dru's post above). That was kinda silly IMO, so I figured you could just as easily call BS on them because Dec 5 is not "winter".

Dec is winter conditions in my book, but on the calendar it's not winter. I couldn't climb any of that shizzle anyway so cheers to all of 'em.