Plantar Fasciitus

ketch

Well I did a dumb thing. I twisted an ankle a couple weeks ago. Then work required a bunch of trips up a ladder early this week. I climbed the ladder but was favoring the sore ankle. It really hurt that night, now the Dr. says I traumatized the plantar fascia by improper climbing technique. It's doing better with drugs, heat and cold, and elevation.

It seems odd that I would develop this injury. I'm lookin for some exercises or stretches to help after the pain is gone. Any good words out there?

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ketch said:

Well I did a dumb thing. I twisted an ankle a couple weeks ago. Then work required a bunch of trips up a ladder early this week. I climbed the ladder but was favoring the sore ankle. It really hurt that night, now the Dr. says I traumatized the plantar fascia by improper climbing technique. It's doing better with drugs, heat and cold, and elevation.

It seems odd that I would develop this injury. I'm lookin for some exercises or stretches to help after the pain is gone. Any good words out there?

Thanks

My dad hurt his last year from stomping his foot on a shovel blade.

He rested his foot, stretched it out, was very careful with it first thing in the morning, etc. He ran on it, but he was very careful not to do anything to apply any weird pressure on it (he had to be very careful on rocky or rooty trails).

What helped him the most a few months after the injury (it never seemed to quite go away) was a cortisone shot or two.

If I recall there was an old thread on plantar fasciitis. I had it for three years from running. Orthotics cured it. For some people it can become an intractable problem. I expect that your case will go away quickly because it was brought on by an acute insult which is unlikely to be repeated. I used to work summers painting. If you are spending any time at all on ladders I suggest wearing a stiff pair of boots.

Any good words out there?

ya. tell your doctor to fuk off. what a prick. dude has the bedside manner of a coroner. blaming the victim and shit. rolleyes.gif

Lummox? What an appropriate name! You must have a difficult time reading. He asked for "good" words ya Lummox.

What the cat says about stretching early is real important. First time in the AM, BEFORE you even get out of bed, slowly go through a stretching routine. It will really help. crazy.gif

That and time. Good luck.

Here's the link to the article I wrote last year after making it through my own bout: http://www.bodyresults.com/E2plantarf.asp. Key is 1) switching activity to stop aggravating it (i.e. you may find that biking or swimming vs. running/hiking may help give it a rest); 2) gentle massage of the bottoms of the feet first thing in the morning (to warm up the tissue) before you take your first steps, and 3) splint the foot in a right-angle position while you sleep so the fascia can't tighten up while the foot is totally relaxed. E-stim and deep tissue work on the calves (active release techniques) can also be very helpful. Good luck.