Participate in Climbing Research

docerikclimbs

fair enough

what about tendonitis? I remember that but I don't go to an emergency room for it.

I still fail to see any clinical relevance in classifying injuries, unless maybe they're relatively hidden ones, in which case this survey might help with diagnosis. I guess it might help also in terms of staffing an ER in Boulder or Joshua Tree.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehmic-

What about the (in my vuiew more likely) possibility that studies might show that climbing is LESS dangerous than insurance companies may believe. We've had plenty of discussions here about how insurance company perspective seems out of balance -- such as how life insurance is difficult to obtain, or at least policies without exceptions for climbing, yet as far as I know European consumers can get such insurance because they understand and accept climbing more over on that side of the ocean. Similarly, Gary pointed out recently that organized climbing activities are discouraged by the UW, because they fear liability (obviously based on the idea that climing club outings would be dangerous). A survey might show that most people survive their college outing club trips without injury. Of course his study isn't designed to really support these kinds of findings -- I'm just pointing out that it could equally cut either way as to the issue that you brought up.

I also developed tendinitis (golfer's elbow) from climbing a few years ago. I don't know if it was from climbing too often, or lack or stretching, or improper form or ???. I do know that it sucked though, and it caused me to take about a month off. Still bothers me sometimes. I would consider this significant to me. Some people see orthopedic surgeons and get steroid injections or even surgery for this condition...depending on the severity.

docerikclimbs said:

I also developed tendinitis (golfer's elbow) from climbing a few years ago. I don't know if it was from climbing too often, or lack or stretching, or improper form or ???. I do know that it sucked though, and it caused me to take about a month off. Still bothers me sometimes. I would consider this significant to me. Some people see orthopedic surgeons and get steroid injections or even surgery for this condition...depending on the severity.

a good start on helping rid yourself of tendonitus is to balance the muscles. do more pushups to work those triceps.

Good suggestion Erik. Sometimes elbow tendonitis originates from muscles in the forearm. Stretching and trying not to overgrip can help, especially if you are climbing little crimpers in the gym. Training those muscles using a grip ball or by working your extensors with silicone putty (Powerputty works good for this) will also help with recovery and prevention if it is a forearm issue.

Mattp, you are right. It could show that it is not dangerous and that climbers are concerned about safety. Data can be cut many ways. It would be really nice to have a broad based survey that showed that climbers and climbing is inherently safe so I could get some life insurance again...