Bindings: Diamirs with brakes versus Freerides

Dustin_B

I was going to post this question under the other current Freerides thread, but I decided to just create a new thread in case someone does a search for Diamirs at some point in the future.

I just bought the Diamirs and mounted them on new Shuksans (last years model). Then I also decided I wanted ski brakes as opposed to ski straps, so I bought the Fritschi brakes and threw them on. Buying the Diamirs and brakes separately costs more than the Freerides (which comes with brakes). I used my digital scale and weighed all the components separately and my Diamirs with brakes only weigh 3.7 ozs less than the advertised weight for the Freerides (BD advertised weights on the Diamirs and brakes have been dead on, by the way). The Freerides also come with shims, which accounts for some if not all of this extra 3+ ozs.

So where is the weight savings of the Diamir over the Freeride (speaking of the binding only and not considering brakes)? What is the advantage of the Diamirs??? Why would you buy the Diamirs if you plan on using ski brakes, at least some of the time? Freerides also have a higher DIN capability so it seems to me that you should just buy the Freerides and when you are worried about weight, swap out the brakes for straps (cheap). And I hear the Freerides are beefier/burlier than the Diamirs! What gives?? Any one have any thoughts or explanations for this? It is too late for me, but if I had it to do over again I think I would just buy the Freerides.

(I know the Freerides don't come with a return spring which cost $10 and the Diamirs do).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want brakes, the Freeride makes more sense. Supposedly the toe piece and bar on the bindings are the same, so the strength is identical. My understanding is between the two styles it is brakes vs. no brakes, moderate DIN vs. Maximum DIN, return spring vs. no return spring.

The higher DIN might not be a big issue unless you are skiing the lifts, but as long as you fit in the scale somewheere it isn't a detriment to have that higher setting available.

The return springs break eventually, and though they can be replaced, it is easier to do uphill kick turns and set trail without them anyway.

mtnnut said:

If you want brakes, the Freeride makes more sense. Supposedly the toe piece and bar on the bindings are the same, so the strength is identical.

i believe the toe pieces are actually different. if i understand what i've read and heard, the titanal (what dustin is calling the diamir) doesn't really have an independent toe-release mechanism; whereas the freeride does. other than that and the din setting, i think it's just the weight of the titanal (without the brakes) being the big difference.

I just picked up my new AT setup. K2 8611's, Diamir Titanal 3's, and Garmont G-Rides. I thought about the "Freerides", but I figured the Titanal's were a little more "touring" friendly and that at 165lbs, I really didn't need the DIN12 setting. Also, the brakes won't keep my ski from the depths of a crevasse.

I hope my wife doesn't find out I've been spending $$$ again. I'll be sleepin' with my new gear on the sofa!

Titanal refers to the titanium / Aluminum alloy of which the center rail and some other parts are made out of. Fritschi is the brand name and Diamir / Diamir II / Freeride is the model name. The Freeride supposedly has a new toe piece to accomadate DIN 12. The reason for the Diamir II is that people kept breaking the Diamir. The reason for the freeride is that people were still breaking the Diamir II, myself included. I got a new pair but am still too poor to buy a pair of freerides. Anxious to see how they perform, as well as the new AT binding ("Naxo") from BCA. This one was developed by the fellas that made the first two Diamir bindings, who were let go from Fritschi for some reason. This binding is supposed to have an "alpine" style toe piece, which would be a significant improvement from any of the Fritschi bindings.

All you freeride fellas tell me how it is! smile.gif

Here is Couloir's review of the Naxo, I'm not sure if it is even for sale in the US yet:

http://www.couloirmag.com/mfgs/bc_access/bca_naxo.htm

I have the titanal 2's and I just purchased some freerides. Freerides have a more robust toepiece, and Fritschi claims the rail is stronger too. I can't tell the difference by looking at the rail. The shims appear to be purely cosmetic. They climb excactly the same. They feel tighter than my Titanal 2's, but they are new, so who knows.

Take a good look at the Naxos before you buy. The adjustment teeth for the boot length looks suspect, and I didn't trust the plastic threads for the boot height adjustment. So far I can't find anyone who will report on them. Maybe after a year or two of evolution...