What're Ya reading?

EWolfe

michael_layton said:

But I think all philosphy is a load of horseshit. The world is a heap of shit and we all dig until we find what layer of shit suites us. Either way, life is pain and lonliness, then death.

Isn't there a school of philosophy that says this same shit called existentialism. You know, like Kierkagaard, Nietschze, Twight...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

specialed said:

michael_layton said:

But I think all philosphy is a load of horseshit. The world is a heap of shit and we all dig until we find what layer of shit suites us. Either way, life is pain and lonliness, then death.

Isn't there a school of philosophy that says this same shit called existentialism. You know, like Kierkagaard, Nietschze, Twight...

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifthumbs_up.gif

specialed said:

michael_layton said:

i believe that's the "life sucks and we're all going to die" school of philosophy

have a nice day

specialed said:

RobBob said:

Twight's writing reminds me of early Tom Peters in his business book trajectory. A few good points, a whole lotta hyper-hype...and in retrospect a whole lotta egotism.

the underlying motivation to "have sex with death" can't ever be ego.

don't you think that at some point one lacks ego to such an outragious extent that, that person becomes an egotist??? something about everything containing it's oposit Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Existentialism does not say that life is suxxxor

Existentialism says there is neither god nor master, that we are free to choose our own lives. And that most people are unable to handle that reality and that responsibility.

What kind of dumb philosophy is that? There wasn't anything about THAt in the Matrix confused.gif It doesn'tt ell you to take drugs mushsmile.gif or how to fix your motorcycle wazzup.gif?

Not all buddists think this way, Muffy. The Dali Lama says we each create our own suffering and have the power to end it. It's all about attachment and a dislike of change. These things weigh you down and make you suffer. Accepting that things change and what you are attached to (people, things, ideas) is only really here for the moment, frees you from worrying about the future and suffering when it doesn't work out the way you plan.

For an interesting set of tenents about life check out "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz. An interesting look at Toltec philosophy which like most spiritual philosophys shares a lot with other ones. But his explanations make it easier to understand than some heavy buddist stuff I've read.

Edited by ehmmic

The buddhists say that we need to free ourselves from samsara (suffering) which is caused by our illusion that we exist as a discrete entity in the universe (ego). Understanding that we are one with everything and nothing exists apart from anything else is the basis of enlightenment. Reaching this understanding doesn't imply mentally/cognitively understanding the concept, but understanding it with your entire being. Most descriptions of the moment of satori involve a feeling of a dissolving of self and melting into the universe.

Brings to mind a groaner of a joke:

What did the buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

Make me one with everything.

ehmmic said:

Not all buddists think this way, Muffy. The Dali Lama says we each create our own suffering and have the power to end it. It's all about attachment and a dislike of change. These things weigh you down and make you suffer. Accepting that things change and what you are attached to (people, things, ideas) is only really here for the moment, frees you from worrying about the future and suffering when it doesn't work out the way you plan.

For an interesting set of tenents about life check out "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz. An interesting look at Toltec philosophy which like most spiritual philosophys shares a lot with other ones. But his explanations make it easier to understand than some heavy buddist stuff I've read.

Four agreements is a great book, so is his second one Mastery of Love. thumbs_up.gif