Stoves!!!

K_Y_L_E

K_Y_L_E said:

But am a bit put off by the fact you can only use snow peak fuel (is that true?).

If you are talking about the Gigapower stove, I'm pretty sure you can use any canister (MSR for example).

Edit, Lummox said it much more eloquently than I...

Edited by b-rock

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To repeat...the fitting size is genneraly standard on all Butane type bottles, Primus, MSR and Snowpeak, and Camping Gaz(the blue ones)are interchangeable, except coleman.

I agree that they do work great at High altitudes, we used a tine Primus at 18,000 ft for a week in Nepal, boiled water like a champ.

Side note:

Be careful if buying Butane canisters in a third world country. They tend to re-fill the canisters with cheap gas that doesn't work above 15K. It's hard to tell the difference between an old one and new one, because they both work fine in Katmhandu. If they can refill them, I don't know why we can't confused.gif

When it comes down to it I would rather have my whisperlite. No fuss, a little muss, and it doubles as a torch if I need to cut through any steel.

I know for sure that the recyclers take my white gas container!!!

I have heard that the canisters that go through to the recycler are taken out and landfilled...Not recycled. At least in seattle.

Lambone said:

To repeat...the fitting size is genneraly standard on all Butane type bottles, Primus, MSR and Snowpeak, and Camping Gaz(the blue ones)are interchangeable, except coleman.

This is not true. No MSR or Snowpeak stove will fit on Gaz cylinder except the Superfly which is a poorly designed stove (though it does have a hanging kit which is nice).

A potentially interesting stove is the jetboil (see jetboil.com). A friend who tried one suggested that it might be to stoves, what the tikka was to headlamps a few years ago. Although it lacks versatility, it might be an alpinist’s dream. It’s rumoured to boil a litre of water in about 90 seconds. My friend “boiled” a cup of ice in about 55 seconds.

GB

"Light and Compact

With the diameter of a Nalgene® bottle and less height, Jetboil stows in places standard cooksets won’t go, like your fanny pack or side pocket."

I got this off that jetboil website. So how does this thing have a one liter capacity? Diameter of nalgene with less height, and it looks like the stove takes up a good chunk of that height...??? That does look pretty nifty though, wonder how many clams they'll be wanting?

I've got the SP Gigapower and have used the Primus and SP cartridges. The Primus ones are nice because of their capacity. I used to sing praise about the Pietzo igniter, but that thing has become less reliable to the point of non-functional as of late. Like was said, it is very wind resistant. I wouldn't take one of those small cartridges on a winter trip though. It's not enough fuel to melt snow/ice for water, even just for a weekend trip.

For a cooking platform (for stove or pot), you can also use the flat sides of your pickets trying to make sure the edges aren't so close to the flame.

Pencil_Pusher said:

I wouldn't take one of those small cartridges on a winter trip though. It's not enough fuel to melt snow/ice for water, even just for a weekend trip.

rule of thumb: one cartridge (i guess it must be the medium sized one) will provide water and cooking for one day for two people. wave.gif