All Purpose Plastic Boot

charlesclaassen

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it you want to do exactly? The Denali is a great boot for steep skiing, but only passable for touring and (IMO) dreadful to hike or climb in. Conversly, the Arctis or any comparable boot will be a nightmare to ski anything challenging in. The 500 is a good choice for an all-around binding. Some may complain that it's materials are inherently weak, but I've had no problems using mine fairly hard (though I am only around 150lbs).

Knowing exactly what you want to use the boot for would help with the advice you'll get.

There is a some middle ground between the Scarpa Denali and a pair of plastic climbing boots....you might want to take a look at some of the lower cuffed Scarpa AT boots, they can be found for pretty cheap at sales and on ebay. Theres also the Dynafit boot and binding combo...bindings are considerably lighter than silvrettas and the MLT and TLT boots will hike better and are lighter than a pair of Scarapas and still ski better than a pair of Koflachs.

charlesclaassen said:

Has anyone done considerable approaches in Scarpa Denalis? I'm wondering if it would be comfortable enough to hike in, but still wear crampons and AT about in. The other option I'm considering is the Koflach Arctis Expe (with a Silvretta 500 binding). Any thoughts?

I've got the Denali XT, and I've hiked 5miles one way in them, worn them all day, skinned, and cramponed with them and in no way do they not hike or skin well. No, they aren't sneakers, but they'll work without pain. If you want to ski, get them and don't look back. If you want an approach setup to technical climbs, go with the Silvys and mountain boots. Remember, mountain boots don't ski worth shit.

I don't know why people keep complaining that big AT boots don't hike; they do, and quite well. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I'm trying to put together a setup that I can use to approach Denali , as well as use for winter approaches in the lower 48 for mixed and ice routes, with some fun headwall descents included. I'm thinking that a double plastic with a silvretta binding suits my needs a bit better than an AT boot. Thanks for the input.

cracked said:I don't know why people keep complaining that big AT boots don't hike; they do, and quite well.

If you fit your AT boots like ski boots (i.e. snug - no toe room) there's no way you'll ever be comfortable on long approaches. Same with climbing shoes. Not enough room for the toes. Wear a pair of running/approach shoes for the hike in - way more comfy.

charlesclaassen said:

I'm trying to put together a setup that I can use to approach Denali , as well as use for winter approaches in the lower 48 for mixed and ice routes, with some fun headwall descents included. I'm thinking that a double plastic with a silvretta binding suits my needs a bit better than an AT boot. Thanks for the input.

it dont hurt none to look at the dynafit imo. after all the scarpa denali is an AT boot too. rolleyes.gifwave.gif

cj001f said:

cracked said:I don't know why people keep complaining that big AT boots don't hike; they do, and quite well.

If you fit your AT boots like ski boots (i.e. snug - no toe room) there's no way you'll ever be comfortable on long approaches. Same with climbing shoes. Not enough room for the toes. Wear a pair of running/approach shoes for the hike in - way more comfy.

I do wear running shoes on hikes when possible, but I have hiked quite a bit in my Denalis w/out pain. What are you going to do when you have to walk up frozen snow? Use crampons on your tennies? rolleyes.gif And for the record, my boots do fit snug; my toes almost touch the end of the boot when the buckles are snug. If you can't walk in your boots how are you going to boot up?

cracked said:

Use crampons on your tennies? rolleyes.gif And for the record, my boots do fit snug; my toes almost touch the end of the boot when the buckles are snug.

Yes. Snug = no airspace at front of boot. The worst part with snug boots is always walking down a trail - the toes end up getting bashed. Not pleasant.

No, I don't like walking down trails in my ski boot...but I can if I have to without major pain. The discomfort has more to do with the high cuff and stiff sole than toe space. But whatever...IMHO, if the boot fits, you can easily hike and skin with it. bigdrink.gif Now all we need is snow. fruit.gif

I'd still take a look at a Dynafit setup before you opt for koflachs and silvrettas. I used Dynafit bindings and their TLT4 boot on my trip up Denali this past summer and I thought it was a great combo, pounds lighter than using silvretta bindings and I could still actually ski with the setup and not just snowplow down the hill. The only tradeoffs were that the TLT4 is a little heavier than a koflach boot (only by a couple ounces) and I had to buy the boots about a size larger than I'd usually buy ski boots to have enough room for foot swelling and extra socks.