webpage as a 'complete page' (the other option is .html

only). This will create a directory on your 'puter with

all the images and files that make up the webpage you are

looking at, then just go in there and find the animated gif

you are looking for and junk the rest? I had the same .bmp

default problem with XP the other day, but I forget whether

or how I got around it.

ehmmic,

I had the same problem. Click Tools, Internet Options. On the "General" tab, click on "Delete Files" and "Delete Cookies". This will fix the problem, but will cause websites that "recognize" you when you visit to not recognize you anymore. For example, if you have it set up so that cc.com recognizes you as ehmmic each time you visit without you having to sign in, you will have to sign in again the next time you visit cc.com.

It does work, but I don't know why. I ain't a techie computer nerdy folk.

Nice meeting you at Smiffy by the way.

Cheers

-AF

Dru said:

while we on the subject what is a good free program ( I know that's two mutually contradictory things) that will let one make animated GIF's?

dru, it's not free, but don't you have photoshop already? you can make animated gifs by putting each frame of the animation on a separate layer, then saving as a gif; i believe the easiest way to manipulate the animation is through the "save for web" command, but only your help menu knows for sure

Dru, Fox:

GIF stands for Graphical Interchange Format and, as such, "gif" should be pronounced with a hard G.

BMP stands for "Bit Map".

JPEG stands for "Joint Photographic Experts Group." JPG is just a shortened extension (three letters are more compact than four). Both are JPEGs. I've sometimes seen .jpe files and I believe these are also just a variant of .jpg files in terms of extension letters only. However, on my old unix workstation I used to have trouble reading in some .jpe files.

While we're at it:

TIFF stands for "Tagged Information File Format". Typical extensions usually only use .tif though.

All these are different formats for storing an image file. They are created different ways and thus use/require a different subroutine within the Graphics software to open/close/save. Beyond these simple definitions I know nothing more. I'm a mechanical engineer, not a computer geek. wave.gif

forrest_m said:

Dru said:

while we on the subject what is a good free program ( I know that's two mutually contradictory things) that will let one make animated GIF's?

dru, it's not free, but don't you have photoshop already? you can make animated gifs by putting each frame of the animation on a separate layer, then saving as a gif; i believe the easiest way to manipulate the animation is through the "save for web" command, but only your help menu knows for sure

i use arcsoft photoimpression instead of adopey photochop... i will investigate... all the commands are different....

for instance i never get it when photo shop users say saving a quality changes the image size, the two are independent for me... cantfocus.gif

just say no to photochop!