Climbing near Sacramento?

nierman

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's less than 2 hrs from sac to donner summit, which has lots of sunny, high quality granite.

make sure you have a reliable car to get you the hell out of there whenever possible. that whole central valley is a cultural wasteland. in fact, you might consider getting a mullet if you want to fit in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"...when you stare persistently into an abyss, the abyss also stares into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Hello,

I'm looking at moving to the greater Sacramento area. Any advice on good crags with 2-3 hours? Any farther than that and I guess I should just head to the Valley. Trad preferred, but feel free to mention anything.

Thanks for the advice.

Doug

there is this one place called yosemite... i hear it is pretty good like a 2 hour drive maybe 3 depending on traffic..

also there is another place just being developed (shhhh!) called lake tahoe....there a few established routes ona cliff called divorcees cliff(?)

but really man, my folks live down that direction and all you are getting into is some real sweet stuff

calvares domecomsummes river gorgethe valleytahoe and all its cragssonora areacastle cragsall that bay area crapmy mind is whirrling around at a million miles an hour trying to pull names

and if i think of more i will lst them

and i have quite a few giudes for the area....maybe i will part with some if it works out just right

make sure you have a reliable car to get you the hell out of there whenever possible. that whole central valley is a cultural wasteland. in fact, you might consider getting a mullet if you want to fit in.

Sonora Pass area, once it opens for the summer has some good climbing, plus the Feather River Canyon north of Sacto.

Hey, haven't seen a mullet for at least a month or so. rolleyes.gif" border="0 There is culture here, Central CA is the largest dairy producing area in the nation, oops, wrong type of culture. grin.gif" border="0 The news is just running a story about the They Stink, uh, I mean 'NSYNC concert last night at Arco Arena. [sleep]

Nice sites, Eric. I learned to climb here in the 80s so these areas and Cal granite are dear to my heart. With many years of "recent" developement, I'd be like a stranger to this place now. The sites will help me check out new stuff. cool.gif" border="0

just to note nierman,

my drive times are almost right on, as have done that drive about 10 times......i think i might have it down.....

a little secret....take the french camp rd and head east off of 99 when heading to the valley...you will miss all of menteca...

donner from sac is 1-1.5hrslovers is 1 hrcalaveras is a whole bunch of backroads and same wiht consummes...time vary depending on rally car disillusions