Nerd Question

RobBob

Now that everybody's putting wireless cards in their laptops, isn't that adding a tremendous amount of radio signal inside commercial aircraft? I mean, when they ring the bell and the geeks pull'em out and boot'em up, aren't all those cards automatically transmitting and looking for radio signals? cantfocus.gifGeek_em8.gif Seems to me that any device intentionally transmitting a radio signal (regardless of frequency) poses a potential interference risk with avionics.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they don't let people use cellphones, GPSs, etc. in the air for fear of interference, tho I believe you're right that there is shielding.

One time I sat behind an old dude who pulled out one of those early-model lunker GPSs and proceeded to turn it on and wand it around his window, trying to get a signal. Freaked me out. blush.gif

Actually from what I have heard, the interference from the cell phones and all that stuff is not really too bad for the avionics. There is a slight potential, but it is a minimal potential, for interference. For instance, Sept 11, a bunch of people on those flights were using their phones, and they flew just fine...

In the end, I think it the FAA is being better safe than sorry when it comes to those. the interference testing that avionics go through before they ever fly is beyond what 99.9999% of any of them will ever see in real life.

rr666 said:

Actually from what I have heard, the interference from the cell phones and all that stuff is not really too bad for the avionics. There is a slight potential, but it is a minimal potential, for interference. For instance, Sept 11, a bunch of people on those flights were using their phones, and they flew just fine...

In the end, I think it the FAA is being better safe than sorry when it comes to those. the interference testing that avionics go through before they ever fly is beyond what 99.9999% of any of them will ever see in real life.

All true. I work in the avionics biz, and it annoys the hell out of me that they ban the personal electronics stuff. That's about the absolute LAST thing I worry about when it comes to aircraft safety.

The airplanes themselves aren't really "shielded" per se, but the avionics equipment does have to be designed and tested to show that it can handle some serious interference/fields/radiation/etc.. At least, the important equipment (nav, guidance, etc.) has to be proven that way. When we're out flight testing, we run all sorts of scary electronics, ESPECIALLY during landings and takeoffs, and nothing ever happens. I think it's all for show, much like the majority of the airport security.

Alpinfox said:

I have used a GPS on an airplane. It was fun to see

Altitude: 30,127ft

Speed: 589mph

on the little screen. We didn't crash either thumbs_up.gif

GPS doesn't transmit any frequency anyway, just recieves. How can that possibly cause any problem? wazzup.gif

I believe the reason you can't use GPS on an airplane is not because it interferes with anything, but you have more or less exact coordinates of the airplane, speed, altitude, etc. and can relay this info to someone on the ground with a missle on their shoulder....

rr666 said:

I believe the reason you can't use GPS on an airplane is not because it interferes with anything, but you have more or less exact coordinates of the airplane, speed, altitude, etc. and can relay this info to someone on the ground with a missle on their shoulder....

I don't personally recall any airlines ever saying it was a no-no to use a GPS during cruise (non-landing/takeoff phases), but it wouldn't surprise me. I've certainly done it quite a bit. But if they do ban them, I highly doubt it has anything to do with transmitting coordinates to anyone on the ground. That info is already usually available elsewhere (there used to be a web site that showed flight info like that), and the coordinates are pretty worthless. An airplane is infinitely more vulnerable to such an attack when near the ground. A shoulder-mounted heat-seeking missile isn't too effective against something flying at 40,000 ft.. Taking out a commercial flight near the ground with a Stinger would be pretty much a no-brainer; I can't believe it hasn't happened here yet.

If they don't allow you to use a GPS on a flight, it's probably because they're basically radio receivers, and many/most radio receivers also emit radiation in that same frequency range, thus the remote possibility for interference with nav equipment.

Good point. One airline I fly quite often (too often actually) is Alaska, and they banned GPS long ago. I am not sure if they were doing it prior to an FAA ruling, or just because they want everybody on the airplane to be really bored because they can't play with all their electronics.

About 1-2 years ago when I got my gps, I actualy read the rules for electronics. GPS's where not allowed for takeoff\landing but were allowed during flight. Can't remember airline, I think it was a domestic flight. But it was cool to read the speed at over 600mph.