Trinity-Alps?

Lambone

Ok, so it's not the Oregon Cascades, but it may be the closest sweet granite near Oregon.

Does anyone know of any routes, or peaks with good rock and route potential. I heard through a friend that Pioson Canyon has a 14 pitch moderate route???

I was up there this weekend on a "camping" trip, and need to get back for some alpine granite.

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SummitPost has some info.

There are some really nice class 3-4 ridge traverses if you don't have a partner/want to travel light.

Also, there is an obvious, big wall up the Canyon Creek Lakes trail called the Blockhouse Wall (named for the large overhanging boulder near it's base that serves as a shelter) with a big corner in it that has routes, but I don't know particulars.

Lambone said:

Ok, so it's not the Oregon Cascades, but it may be the closest sweet granite near Oregon.

Thanks

There is lot's of sweet granite....Right here in OR. I found a new wall 1/2 a mile long and 400 feet high of solid white, high angle open books of GRANITE on a scouting hike last Sunday. It cracks me up when people ask me if I've ever made it to that little 2+ pitch slab of 5.6 near Anthony Lakes to climb Oregon's only granite. They just don't know. hellno3d.gif

But the trinity alps are a cool playground. I went to HSU and they were the closest alpine area.

Lambone said:

True....

I remembered the Wallowas after I posted that..., but they are a bit far for me.

It would be perfectly fine with me if they were a bit closer, but I certainly like the fact that people have to make an effort to get there. Helps preserve the character of the place. Now if only I could find a $$$-paying job in Joseph...

I thought I posted to this thread earlier.

Here is a great link: Trinity Alps

I believe that Scottp is really referring to the Stonehouse. Several good climbs on it and it is easy to find. Hike up the Canyon Creek Trail until you see the obvious formation with large corner. Haven’t climbed in the area for over 20 years but there is lots of climbing. On a map look for a series of lake to the NE of the Canyon Creek trial. (I wanna say June lakes?) Nice short climbs there and shorter approach.

Grizzly Falls is a nice ice climb in the right conditions.