Enchantments: Crystal Creek Fire

Jim_T

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well that is certainly gonna ruin a really nice area. says that was likely caused by humans. i hope those folks are glad they ruined the area. some of that terrain is pretty remote, i bet with permit tracking they will bust people.

wouldnt it be weird if the deforrest service used this site as a tool to track and possible monitor some climbers whereabouts and usage of areas in an effort to prosacute??

anyone who went back there recently get a phone call or a visit by the balck helos??

Hopefully conditions will not create a huge complex. That is a possibility. But if the rains come before the fire gets too big, it could be a good thing. Fire has been supressed for decades as something evil but it is a natural part of a forest cycle. If it does not burn a huge area, it will serve as a detterent to a huge fire in that area in the future and could actually be beneficial to our uses in the long run. I am crossing my fingers the rain or cool weather will come back soon.

Yeah, outdoor camofires are illegal during after mid to late summer in most places - the forest circus decides exactly when. It is pretty easy to find out when they are banned, websites, trailheads, newspapers etc. This is from their website.

"Campfires are allowed only in developed campgrounds and in designated Wilderness areas in the Lake Wenatchee & Leavenworth Ranger Districts"

It really is stupid to burn down the forest because people are too dumb to put out their fire. That Thirtymile fire that killed those firefighters was human caused. So was the Rat Creek fire that burned up the Icicle. It really pisses me off.

Holy cow manure! I was just up there on the 12th of September. On the way up to McClellan from Ingalls Creek I was about two drainages east of Crystal Creek and one drainage east of the worst of the fire. I then came down Crystal Creek later. It looks like the worst part of the fire is in the drainage immediately east of the Nightmare Needles.

Regarding camp fires and humanity's need to make them: I've never been able to figure this out. Why do people (a lot of my friends included) feel the need to make a fire for the sake of a fire? It's like it's some leftover instinct from the Ice Ages. hellno3d.gif

yellaf.gif

Actually, that movie was pretty good. I love the scene (a cinematic classic) where they're crossing the expanse of water and the fire "bud" they were transporting got submersed accidentally. I can't remember if it completely went out or not. The looks on the cavemen's faces was classic.

Szyjakowski said:

talk about bastards: why do the damn heli pilots insist on buzzzin the peaks in the temple range when they could just go around wedge mt....what if they crash. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

When I was fighting fires in the late eighties, I was given a helicopter and pilot to survey the area. The pilot asked me if I was all business or wanted to have a little fun. Fun sounded good. We cruised the valleys right up to the headwalls close enough to catch the updrafts which were like elivators. Going close to peaks or ridges was to catch the air currents to get specific results I do not claim to understand. But the pilot did understand what he was doing and used those currents with precision. I'm not saying it's OK to buzz peaks. Just explaining what I experienced.