PDX rock?

layton

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a copy(if you can find it) of "Portland Rock Climbs:A Climber's Guide to Northwest Oregon",by Tim Olson.Also keep an eye peeled in the bookstores (Powell's,Great NW,Hawthorne Blvd,Cameron's,Looking Glass,Daedalus)for vintage copies of "Climber's Guide to Oregon" by Nick Dodge,and "Oregon Rock" by Jeff Thomas,"Oregon High",also by Jeff Thomas,and "Summit Guide to the Cascade Volcanoes" by Jeff Smoot.Forget going to Borders or Waldenbooks,etc.They don't deal in this kind of thing.The local climbing stores have book sections,some more complete than others.Beckey's three volume guide to the Cascades,Jim Nelson's Cascade Select,and Alan Kearney's Classic Climbs of the Northwest are excellent.The Mazamas ,the long time local climbing club,has an amazing library of climbing literature,well worth checking out.If you can't find some of the first titles I mentioned in the bookstores,the Mazamas has them.Best practice ice is on the lower Eliot,Newton-Clark,Coe or White River glaciers on Mt.Hood,Eliot and White R. most accessible.Upper Heather Canyon can be pretty good in winter depending on conditions,a bit of a ski to get into.Sometimes the ice will come in on Pete's Pile,less frequently in the Gorge,but when it's in,as it was in the early 90's ,it's fantastic.Global warming may have made that a thing of the past.

Biking &hiking-Oregon and the NW room at Powell's is full of guide books on this.Look for a map titled "Mountain Biking:Greater Portland and NW Oregon".

running-try Forest Park

food,pubs-Willamette Week publishes reviews and guides to these on a regular basis,call them for current copies.

Gyms-24 Hour Fitness(best equipped,family and serious gym rats),Giant's Gym(cheap,iron pit,hardcore)Bally's(upscale)Riverplace(the Rodeo Drive of Portland fitness).

Rock gyms-Portland Rock Gym,Stoneworks,Clubsport

Gear shops=ClimbMax,Mountain Shop,US Outdoor Store,Oregon Mountain Community,REI,The Next Adventure(new and used;watch out for the Soviet-era ropes and ice screws)Andy and Bax,Johann Mountaineering Shop.

Any further questions,just look up my e-mail on the list and give a holler.Basically,if you can read,you can find it.

Mtguide :grin

------------------------------------------------------

"All you have to do is open yr eyes and ears and

you're influenced---"

-Bob Dylan

texplorer said:

When is the new PDX gym supposed to open. I will probably be joining that thing next month. I guess I better get my lycra out of the storage unit again.

Tex-o,

They've got a deal goin' right now; if you sign up before November, you get the current rate, which is definitely a good deal, 'cause it will go up a bit. And they're also giving extra free months, too. Right now it's 13 months for the price of 12 (you gotta do the year commitment thing), up until November. Best hurry on in there, or you're gonna be kicking yourself when the dues go up to like fiddy a month at the new joint.

Love,

Dr. Flash Amazing

Ursa_Eagle said:

Last a checked, Climb Max had a stack of Oregon Highs lying around. The book has stuff I haven't seen in any other books. Climb Max is on SE Division at 20th or so.

I got my copy of Oregon High at Powell's within the past year. People had been saying it was hard to find, but they had something like 20 brand new copies on the day I went there.

michael_layton said:

Wonder if I've seen DFA at the gym?

Not likely. Most folks don't have their sunglasses on in the gym, and are thus usually blinded by the blizzard of flash bulbs going off when DFA and the Amazing Entourage enter. If you've ever experienced sudden blindness followed by a heady euphoria coupled with feelings of inadequacy, you may have been in the presence of the one known as Dr. Flash Amazing.

Ciao! wave.gif