Load Limiters--Does anyone use these?

scrambler

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ducknut said:I can see how the screamer changes the deceleration and thus the force on the anchor but how do the ripping threads really eat up the energy or just change it into a bunch of smaller impacts spread out in time on the anchor?

That's how I understand it.

The spreading out over time helps to limit the peak load on the piece.

Yates and/or Fish had a bunch of stuff on their site about this.

check fish/tech weenie pages for any definitive independant posts on the internet about protection and pieces. but not to say it's inclusive, but exhaustive, and fed by a bunch of industry testing reps not affiliated to fish products by anything other than their love of climbing safety

Sphinx said:

Ketch, a kilonewton is a unit of force, not energy. Saying that is takes two kN of 'energy' to activate the screamer is a senseless statement. rolleyes.gif

Sphinx, You are right. A kilonewton is a measure of force. IE a method of measureing the energy that has been imparted to an object. If we were in an engineering forum I would get all those little details attended to before I published my remarks. The fact remains that it takes a measure of force to rupture each progressive stitching group or pull each nut. That force (the amount of energy imparted to cause 1 kilogram to accelerate at 1 metere per second per second=1n times approximatley 2000) is translated from one state to another in this process. Slowing the falling object while doing so.

ketch said: That force (the amount of energy imparted to cause 1 kilogram to accelerate at 1 metere per second per second=1n times approximatley 2000) is translated from one state to another in this process.

Just for the sake of argument, force is not energy. Energy is not force. We don't know what force is, all we know is that it accelerates objects.We don't know what energy is either. However, we can differentiate between the two. The climber does work, that is, force times distance on the screamer. That absorbs energy. But saying that force is energy is also meaningless. wave.gif