Why?

Dru

Why did you start climbing? What made you want to try it?

I have heard the "average climber" (90% of those who try it once) only climb for a few years before moving on to another sport. If you have been climbing for 3 yrs +, why did you stay with climbing?

Did you start with another outdoor sport and switch to climbing, or did you start with climbing and stay with it?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:I have heard the "average climber" (90% of those who try it once) only climb for a few years before moving on to another sport. If you have been climbing for 3 yrs +, why did you stay with climbing?

Judging by most of the people I know, most stick with ANY sport for only a year or 2.

As a side question - what is climbing? If you go a couple times a month, are you a climber?

Sphinx said:

I'd say you're a climber if you love the sport, and stick to it for a significant amount of time. There are quite a few very, very good climber who only get out once every two weeks or so.

agreed. we all have diffent time issues grin.gif

cj001f said:

Judging by most of the people I know, most stick with ANY sport for only a year or 2.

As a side question - what is climbing? If you go a couple times a month, are you a climber?

I think you may need to expand your question. If you go (what) a couple times a month...

to the rock gym? I'm not sure if that qualifies.

on a three-day alpine climb in the North Cascades? now we're getting somewhere.

Does level of difficulty of one's climbing come into play? Perhaps we need to look at how much of one's time (either free time or overall time) gets spent climbing. Perhaps if it's above a certain percentage, regardless of level of difficulty of the climbs, this person can be considered a climber.

Edit: added in the quote

Edited by Ursa_Eagle

Ursa_Eagle said:

I think you may need to expand your question. If you go (what) a couple times a month...

Does level of difficulty of one's climbing come into play? Perhaps we need to look at how much of one's time (either free time or overall time) gets spent climbing. Perhaps if it's above a certain percentage, regardless of level of difficulty of the climbs, this person can be considered a climber.

But difficulty does play a role. Oh, fuck, why do we care. If you're a climber, you'll know.

Ursa_Eagle said:

I don't agree with you. I think it is about what is in your heart and what you do with the time you can make. do you spend all your vacations in hawwii, or do you usualy climb??? what do you dream about?? what do you think about?? what makes you feel better when you are sad??? for me, those are all climbing. Sure I go to the gym in the winter, but I also head to smith a cupple of times too smile.gifit is personal. each person knows if they are a climber or a poser.

Sphinx said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

But difficulty does play a role. Oh, fuck, why do we care. If you're a climber, you'll know.

quit reading my mind yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.giftongue.gif Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Sphinx said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Sphinx said:

Good thing I'm not rerading anything.

tongue.gif I guess I was wrong, cause if you could read my mind, you would be running away evils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gif

Cum get some, you know you want it. evils3d.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

I would scare you so bad evils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gif

when i was a little kid my dad would take us hiking and also scramble-bouldering on the beach thumbs_up.gif

i would read the hiking guidebooks and look at maps and see all the cool places to go

then my brother and i started peak bagging and bushwacking when he turned 16 and got a car

we scrambled more and more difficult things. spent many hours reading the bruce fairley guide and checking out way more cool things to climb

when i went to university i learned how to belay & place pro and got hooked on technical climbing & it all went downhill from there

i definitely like almost all types of climbing and exploring outdoors.

the only parts I don't really like are

1) gym climbing is a workout but there is no exploration so it is hard to motivate

2) i don't like super early alpine starts but I do like sunrises and not getting hit by rockfall so they are a necessary evil

3) i dont like bushwacking in the rain

4) i don't like winter suffering but you have to suffer to climb in the winter

5) i dont like falling so tend not to try to push myself too much: it took me 4 years from when i started climbing to redpoint my first 10b and another 7 years after that to get the redpoint level up to 10d cry.gif

6) i dont like face fulls of snow and broken legs so i dont like to ski much

7) i do not like slogging with a heavy pack on but sometimes thats what it takes to bag a peak

8) i do not like aid belaying! yellowsleep.gif

climbing is fun thumbs_up.gif i tend to call everything from bagging a peak, to bouldering "climbing"

Ah excellent, the Why Climb question. Because it makes everything else recede for a while. Because when you're climbing you're not fretting about your career, love-life,

mortgage, car repairs, or the zillion other fretful things that might occupy your head. Life is reduced to the tiny piece of metal that you have to put into the tiny crack or getting your foot up and onto that incut. Because it's blissfully simple to have your mind concentrated one thing.

Also interesting places, people, and good beer afterward, but mostly it's about paying very close attention to one thing.