Work is play and play is work - TR

Fejas

So on my day off last Wednesday I climbed Mt. Thielsen...

Some bad Mexican food prevented my partner form showing up on time. As I am eagerly waiting for him in my driveway watching the dark sky turn to a glowing twilight, my neighbor passes by with his dog. We talk, and in his thick Chech acsent he tells me of his trail running story, followed by his wonder-loss for fishing the MacKenzie river. I can't help it, YAK, there goes the morning puke. My neighbor disgusted moves on...

Upon his arrival he tells me of his epic bathroom adventure, YAK, round two... He appears to have changed from the Italian I once knew in to an Asian, pale yellowish in the face, and eye slammed shut from the early morning rise... this is a trip I thought to myself, YAK, OK my stomach is finally setled...

We're off chugging mountain dew and eating jerky. Arrive at diamond lake to a sky filled with smoke. We discuss the fires, and how close to the mountain they are. We discuss approach issues, and opp for the longer approach due to some resent controversy on the issue...

We're moving, its hot, we're late, and the little bastards (that satin himself sent to the surface just to fuck with the human race) are biting like mad. We reach tree line and pass a pair of climbers, some good people... I bet they were thinking, Those dumb fuckers are climbing now, Ha, they'll have a heat stroke up there... We stop a tree line, to eat some lunch, and proceed on up...

Now I ain't gonna lie to ya, the air, with all of the smoke in it, mixed with a fat low lander =ed having a hard time berating down hear, as I'm yelling at my partner to keep his own pase...

We get to the false summit on the diamond lake side, My partner gets there first and yell "I'm getting dizzy, there is no way I'm going any futher"... I get up there, and sit on the edge of a 1500' or so cliff, catch my breath. We see seven other people round off the back side and start down. They turn and look back up and see us sitting on the ledge. Probable not knowing that their voices carry up to us, because I'm going to give them the benefit of the dought; One says to the other, "Oh, they are not going to summit, they are just hanging out there". I turn to my partner and say "What the fuck!", then yell back down at them "Watch me Bitch". I cool down a little and start up the edge of wht is suppose to be this nice and unexposed scramble... As I'm fully exposed to the 1500' cliff and climbing 5.3, with a 5.4 crux in my approach shoes, did I mentioned I was unroped too. I thought to myself, fucking guide book is fuck wrong, either that or I'm a fucking pussy and this seems a lot scarier than it should...

I down climb and and we enjoy the view... We bail off the mountain and catch up with the other group down at the bottom, portlanders, hence the other thread... and apperantly the nice and easy scramble is up the back side, PPFFTT.....

Back to the rig; mile 10, blisters are starting to form, mile 14 back at the truck, and glad to take off the shoes... 14miles/1 summit/4000' of elevation gain...

OK had a blast, a bit tired, need more water... "O FUCK" I yell as I look at the gas gage. less than a quarter tank and its 50 or so miles to the last gas station I remembered seeing. "O praise the lord" I mumble as we see a sign for gas at diamond lake resort... We made it home and indulged in my favorite end of the climbing day activity, Pizza and Beer...

Now I was pondering to myself, after it took a couple days for the blisters and sore spots to go away. I have my days off, and I Wake up butt ass early, and either work my ass off, or beat myself up; all doing some thing I love mind you... but it makes me feel like my days a work are my days off and my days off are when I work... Hence the Work is play and play is work...

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This story would have been more cool if "satin" would have possessed you to kick off a huge boulder onto your partner below or push one of the portlanders off the 1500ft cliff. Ah well, I guess I'll settle for a usual chestbeat. Good job bro- way to get out there.

texplorer said:

This story would have been more cool if "satin" would have possessed you to kick off a huge boulder onto your partner below or push one of the portlanders off the 1500ft cliff. Ah well, I guess I'll settle for a usual chestbeat. Good job bro- way to get out there.

Maybe that voice in the back of my head that was trying to get me to start a land slide of rubble down on to the portlanders was satin, never though of it like that... I kept on wanting to push my partner down and surf on top of him wile going down the gulley...

next time I wont fight the earge, and I'll let the evil bastered run wild with my body...

wha ha ha ha..... the_finger.gif

texplorer said:

Reminds me of the funniest graffiti I ever saw in a bathroom stall of the Fort Hill diner:

satin rulz

Gay fashion maven or illiterate redneck?