Topo Software Opinions?

mothboy88

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have DeLorme Topo and HATE IT thumbs_down.gif

It uses USGS data points to render fancy 3D profiles that I never use and has a hard time drawing the smooth contour lines I'm more famiar with in USGS maps. It fails to reference many common places, peaks, ridges... and that's makes it next to useless for searching for all but the most common destinations madgo_ron.gif

My advice, get National Geographics Topo.

I've got the TOPO product and have been happy with it. I can't say how it stacks up against competing products.

I've had a great experience with product support though.

When I got a new computer, it wouldn't read my set of disks. Product support was very responsive and ended up swapping my old disks for the latest version at no cost.

Edited by Paul_K

Alex, you may need to upgrade? Visit their web site for a new version. I have the National Geographic TOPO! software and it works very well for me.

This Maptech thing sounds cool though. On the 3d approaches, do they draw the brush in Goodell Creek? tongue.gif

I have the NG Topo software and don't find it all that buggy. I use it to print out maps and love it for that. I dont use the GPS features and the like. Ocassionally I'll use the route tool to estimate distance and elevation gain.

I have the NG TOPO software and love it also. I had a problem when I upgraded to a new version. Sent TS an e-mail with the problem and they had a patch for me the next day that fixed the issue. I also use it with the GPS and it's pretty simple to use. It's great to print out custom maps for the exact location you are going to. The new version (3.x) lets you create custom size maps for use on websites.

ex: http://www.shakingleg.com/Denali/Approach/Denali_Route.JPG

I haven't used other software so can't really compare.