sick hard boulder problems

dyno_merchant

offwidth climber,

the columbia river island you mentioned is called "turtle island" and it has lots of bouldering potential. it is ringed with old "no trespassing" signs (owned by the department of fish and wildlife and has fish spawning/rearing facilities on the southwest end) so we were pretty skittish when we bouldered there. lots of folks party on the beaches there without any problem though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by rat:
offwidth climber,the columbia river island you mentioned is called "turtle island" and it has lots of bouldering potential. it is ringed with old "no trespassing" signs (owned by the department of fish and wildlife and has fish spawning/rearing facilities on the southwest end) so we were pretty skittish when we bouldered there. lots of folks party on the beaches there without any problem though.

thanks for the info rat. definately looks like an interesting place to check out some time. if i ever head that way, i'll boulder in stealth mode.

cheers! [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by offwidthclimber:

yo dyno!

hook a brother up. where are these boulder fields you're talking about? any places climbable in the winter?

most of the exploration I've done is frome Seattle to Squamish and west of the crest of the cascades.

most of the stuff in canada i saw is now either developed or being developed. ex. sqamish, hope, skaha and stuff in and north of wistler. i'm sure theres tons more to find up there.

in washington the developed or developing areas seem to be mt si, index (seems to me to have tons of potential), leavenworth, banks lake, minihaha (sp?), mt. erie (limited so far) and the sandstone around bellingham (larrabee and limited stuff at sehome hill and mud bay). other area that could be good or bad that you all have been talking about is roslyn (where exactly is it), rimrock lake and entiat.

places that i know have potential are...

marble mount area (some boulders have weird access while others are hard to find in forest, I haven't explored there as much as i'd like.

areas in the hills just east of sedro woolley and mount vernon (i know of at least 4 separate low and high elevation boulder fields here. two of them have at least 50 boulders each.

more sandstone and metamorphics along the oceanside hills around bellingham and anacortes.

some potential between glacier and mt. baker

darrington (boulder fields and boulders in the forest

as for winter bouldering in wash and b.c...in bellingham we could boulder at larrabee and sehome alot but right now that area is limited to about 100 problems or so. mt erie is good in winter also but i don't know where the best problems are yet. you could maybe boulder around skaha area and the areas east of mountains in wash(LONGSHOT?)?

Dyno, This is not my topic but if you are in central oregon you may want to check out a few places.If the golden walls outlined by the serpentine patina of the crooked river aren't your thing and the smattering of odd problems there just leave you agoraphobic there is an area of sharp pocketed dacite five miles north of Sisters that may intrigue you for an afternoon;difficulty unknown

Lake Billy Chinook is littered with boulders that have seen activity. Probably moderates.

West of Meadowcamp outside of Bend are some boulders where some kids from Bend and Scott Franklin are roumored to have put up some hard problems.

To get to the Sisters boulders; Heading west on the hwy through Sisters make a right on Locust (I think) It is the street with the school just after you turn north. Continue til the road splits and go left on red cinders a total of about 5 miles from the hwy and look for an outcrop on your left and an unsigned cinder road.

Good luck and have fun. BTW if you can do the cave with the jones exit at smith let us know what the v grade is for that. It looks hard.

• 3 weeks later...

long time no see...

I've been in bishop, ca. bouldering my brains out for the last four days and it was great. every time i visit there i love it more. great weather too (i got a good sunburn).

just wanted to check in on this topic and see if anyone had any news on the bouldering front up there. Is there a bouldering guide to Washington in the works?

Thanks for all the great info so far. i can't wait to get back to the mossy northwest!!!