Useful knots / rope tricks

willstrickland

The Sheet bend is for connecting to ropes of different diameter.

To tie a Sheet Shank you coil as much rope as needed. Then wrap one hitch around each end of the coils. I've used it in scouts, but not to rappel.

One of my favorite knots is the taut-line hitch, used to tighten a system (i.e. tent stacks, clothes lines, truck hoods)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 favourite stupid rope tricks. One is the Texas figure eight, you hold the end of the rope in one hand like a dart, the other hand holds farther along the rope so there is a largish bight hanging between. Give the bight a twist so it spins around twice and toss the end through the hole, voila, a figure-8 to tie in. The other trick is the one handed bowline on a coil.

Another rappel trick I have heard: suppose you reach the rope end (double rope rappel) a few meters shy of a safe touchdown. Spin yourself around a whole bunch of time so the two strands twist around each other, lock off one strand and let the other slip through your device. You'll start unwinding and the friction of the ropes together will (hopefully) slowly let you down.