Crampons necessary for Mt Adams South Climb?

chris_c

Are crampons necessary/much of an advantage on the Mt Adams South Climb at the moment? Doing it in one day so will be early morning and late afternoon and deciding between plastic rented boots with fixed crampons or leather boots and no crampons.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last weekend and you could climb it without crampons. However it made it easier to just put them on after the lunch counter, you can just walk up and not think about it. Also you only have about a mile of trail before you hit the snow so plastic is nice. Good luck!

You can also rent strap on crampons to fit your leather boots. Climb Max in Portland rents them for about $10 a weekend.

You'd probably appreciate having crampons when you get above the lunch counter if the snow is still frozen. It's just easier to climb when you don't need to worry about your feet slipping. You won't need them for the descent though, the glissade is great!!!!

Crampons are certainly NOT necessary for a climb of the south ridge of Adams -- though the above poster who said the existing steps are not likely to be very good is correct and, especially early in the day, you may well elect to use them if you have them with you. Overall, I think you will be making the day more taxing by wearing heavier boots and carrying crampons, but for the upper several hundred feet on that slope above the Lunch Counter, you might well be happy with that choice. If you can, get some strap-on aluminum crampons and wear regular hiking boots.

Its clear from this thread that many of us think the South Ridge is preety casual, but I wouldn't go so far as Ned and say "there is no exposure whatsoever." You could slip several hundred feet and slam into a rock, so its not quite Kansas.

I was there on Sunday the 13th - lots of snow after 6300'. Trail was easy to follow, very little routefinding was necessary. I followed the steps up the Crescent Glacier and someone had wiped out the top of the steps with their snowboard - I didn't have a problem but some guys wearing sneakers did smile.gif. Crampons weren't necessary...