TR: Seattle Piers and Lake 22 (yuppies and rednecks)

Bronco

Walked up Alaskan from the Ferry Terminal to Pike Place Market on Saturday afternoon. Never in my short life have I seen so much North Face apparel and hiking boots. I thought it was a climbers convention or sumthin'. I don't hang out in cities unless required to, so I was somewhat surprised. Pretty good chowder at Ivars though.

Anyway, we decided with the forecast for good weather (which didn't happen) to go on a hike up to Lake 22 in the Mt. Pilchuck area. Pretty gloomy conditions, wet snow on the ground and dripping out of the trees on your head, cloudy with temps in the mid 30s. Almost everbody up there was having a great time in basketball shoes, flannel shirts, levi jackets and jeans soaked to the knees. grin.gif" border="0

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>I don't hang out in cities unless required to,<<<

I read in a paper that Monroe may soon be incorporated into the MtvernoneverseattleacomalmpiaI-5megalopolis? confused.gif" border="0

Apparently, the T.V.A and the R.E.A already have plans to bring electricity out to Monroe, and possibly as far as the Greater Startup Area.

tvacolor.gif

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

From Bronco's quote:"Walked up Alaskan from the Ferry Terminal to Pike Place Market on Saturday afternoon. Never in my short life have I seen so much North Face apparel and hiking boots. I thought it was a climbers convention or sumthin'. I don't hang out in cities unless required to, so I was somewhat surprised. Pretty good chowder at Ivars though."

I went to the Mallory exhibit and they said the average worker in Downtown Seattle was dressed better than those on expeditions of Mallory's time. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Lake 22 has a very high bumbly factor. I don't know of any idiot getting themself killed up there, but then there aren't a lot of objective hazards.

Several sluffs off of the big face on the opposite side of the lake were seen as well as hikers tracks through the fresh avvy debris. Most people seemed to think you were supposed to hike around the lake which put you in the debris field for 400 - 500'. There were also hiker tracks across the partially frozen surface of the lake which was fairly thin. IMO

I didn't bring my ice tools so we didnt venture onto the lake for climbing back out of the water. [hell no]

It sure is tough being a know it all. grin.gif" border="0

Yeah, that's why I didn't fall in. But seriously, I tested the surface real well w/ poles before I ventured out onto it, I had snowshoes on so there was greater weight dispersal. It held. I've done it several times. People have done stupider things and lived to tell about it, I'm sure. And if I it did break, the only thing I would be worried about is getting back onto a solid surface. I'm pretty sure I could make it 2 1/2 miles back down to my car before I died of hypothermia. I don't try stunts like that when I'm way out in the middle of nowhere.

I grew up in ice skating country and what I observed there and what has proven true here in the warm Pacific Northwest as well is that the ice on a lake is pretty much always uniformly thick unless there is current somewhere or there is a shallow area or underwater object (which creates a small shallow area). On lakes in the mountains, this almost always means that the weak areas are at the inlet and outlet, and (often in the Spring) all the way around the outside edge. If you can get onto the ice, the prospect of falling in is generally pretty slim though I suppose there could be the unseen shallow or unrecognized inlet stream.