My new article

DPS

I am on the verge of posting an article that will dispel the popular notion that driving without wearing a seat belt is dangerous.

Among my evidence is the fact that literally millions of people drove on America's highways last year without having an accident. I also reference my neighbor, Bob, who says that he has been driving for years without an accident. I mayself have ridden in cars for 34 years and have never had an accident. Yet the authorities have made it a law to wear a seat belt! Most people who have accidents while not wearing seatbelts are easily treated in hospitals. I will publish my article in the Journal of kmurray Has a Huge Stick Up His Ass.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

danielpatricksmith said:

I am on the verge of posting an article that will dispel the popular notion that driving without wearing a seat belt is dangerous...

Sure, and it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end. smirk.gif

i know i am responding to a troll but, here are some stats from a quick look through the internet.

In industrialized countries, mva's (motor vehicle accidents) are the leading cause of death for males aged 18-25.

but since our friend is older,he will claim those stats don't pertain to him. so..

He's right about his chances of dying-the number of people dying in mva's has stayed steady or even gone down in some jurisdictions. The rates of death (per billion km driven) has dropped significantly since the 1970's.

This reduction has nothing to do with our driving habits. There are 2-4 times as many people driving now as compared to 20 years ago. the reduction has more to do with road construction, car design, seat belts, airbags and post accident care including emergency response time and hospital care.

So should we wear seat belts? Well i think so. but why?

because the number of accidents is increasing. For example (the only stats i can find easily) in texas the economic loss from mva's doubled between 1979-1998

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/accident_records/Page5.htm

So although your chances of dying are the same or even less than they were 20 years ago, my guess is that the liklihood of getting into an accident have doubled.

since a car accident means that your body will stop moving from the speed at which you were travelling to a stop in .7secs, i would not want my body to hit anything (like a window, a dashboard, or a roof) at that speed. i'll wear a seat belt which will stop me hitting something hard. make sure it fits correctly, with no twists. get the proper adjustments for children and have them sit in a proper child restraint for their age and when they're older have them sit in the back seat--lower risk of injury there.

your injury costs me money--insurance rates go up, your loss of productivity and economic activity including your ability to contribute to taxes which, although not perfect,help run our countries. (ok another troll, let it go)

so i do care that you choose not to wear a seatbelt.

my .025 cents