Lightweight mountaineering boots

JoshK

Yo. Looking to try some sort of lightweight mountaineering boot. I've got my trail runners, which are great, but too whimpy for some stuff. Then I've got my full shank leather climbing boots which I am really loathe to wear on anything requiring a large amount of trail travel for fear of destroying my feet. Some of these lighter weight partial shank mountaineering boots look like a great solution. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm seeing thngs like they kayland multi traction and sportiva trango S. Both look cool. Oh, and another thing...I wouldn't be using them in winter obviously.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

josh, i remember seeing a whole wall of trango s's at second ascent. don't remember the price, but i remember thinking that it was fairly reasonable - worth a call over there maybe. They've also got some off brand (least I never heard of them) summer mtn. boots for like $100.

I've got the trango extreme s that I bought for ice climbing. They're the more insulated version. I've taken to using them for all sorts of mountain stuff. Hiked in earlier this spring from the closed gate at bridge creek to the lakes, did a climb and hiked back out and my feet were fine. I suspect the regular trango s's would be even comfier. as always ymmv.

Look at the tecnica Ascend at PMS. I have a pair, and so soed the wife, and we both are very happy with them as a mid-duty boot or light mountaineerring boot. Fine for everything from long ass approaches, to trekking, to alpine rock routes, to basic mountaineering (Olympus, Glacier, Baker) and the main routes. I wouldn't want to front-point water ice in them, blush.gif but for the basic stuff they are great. grin.gif

PMS - Boots

Tecnica Ascend

(Replaced by the Dunagiri GTX. Some stock still available.)

$215

The all new Ascend Bio-Flex TCY model sets new standards for high-end backpacking footwear. The Tecnica Bio-Flex closure system combined with a highly abrasion resistant upper, will outperform normal leather boots in this category. The Ascend Bio-Flex TCY features a Vibram Ice Trek outsole, which is pneumatic crampon compatible, and an asymmetrical tongue.

Color: Anthracite/Red

Size: M: 7-13

Weight: 3 lbs. 10 oz.

Upper: Kevlar/Nylon

Lining: Tecni-Dry (TCY)

Power Core/Insole: R Super

Removable Footbed: Excel

Outsole/Midsole: Vibram Ice Trek

The Garmont boots Ferrata boot rockband.gifrockband.gifThey are very light, have a stiffish sole, and have a narrow toebox so the edge really well. Marmot has them. They are new to me this year, but so far I'd give them 4 and 1/2 bigdrink.gif Oh and they are a lot less $$ then the trangos.

I'll second the vote for the Ferratas. Just bought a pair, and used them this weekend. Felt great while hiking and scrambled/climbed well on rock.

I tend to think that most of the boots in this category are similar, its just a matter of finding something that fits your feet comfortably. I tried on Trangos, Freney Lites and Ferratas before going with the Ferratas.

FWIW, i went with the trango S boots. Wore them this weekend for the first time and was quite happy with them. they climb well, hike well and frontpointed very nicely. I was also amazed when the dried out in 4 hours overnight. That's a nice advantage of a non-leather boot. It felt great to not have to hike the approach in my full shank boots or be forced to carry the boots and wear tennis shoes in.

I'm definately going to have to look into that. I used my Salamon Super Mountain 9's this past weekend for Forbidden, and although I was happy to be wearing them on the snow and for the stream crossings, my feet were a little more than pissed off when I got back to the car (my toes actually still feel a little weird.) Approaches in full shank boots are suck.