Dry Treating Ropes

skyclimb

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation is as follows, a friend of mine owed me and i was paid in rope. The rope is a few years old, and is dry treated. It has only seen top-rope. It is 10.5mm so i will need to get a nice super-dry 8mm sometime in the future, however this will work for now. My main concern is taking care of it, and making sure it is water reppelent before my next trip. wazzup.gif

you are attempting an impossible task. all a "dry" treatment does is keep yer rope a bit LESS damp. its not like a DWR you can restore in the wash cycle. the difference between the current dry -ness of your rope and what it was brand new, is minimal.

I have "treated" a couple of nine mm ropes in the past and found that it made a noticable difference. However, like most DWR treatements is wears off over time. frown.gif

Remeber what DWR standands for: Durable Water Repellant. Key word is dudable, not permanent.

Good luck with it and let us kno how it goes and how long they hold up, or stay dry.... bigdrink.gif

where is the uiaa study showing effect of using clothing targeted DWR product on rope strength?

Yeah...I wouldn't be surprised if one came out saying that it weakens the rope...so you should buy this extra special DWR for ropes....and it only costs three times as much and is actually the same thing anyway. rolleyes.gif

One of my climbing partners recently bought a "superdry" edelweiss rope and it stays much drier than any other "dry" rope I've ever used. It has a bit of a "plasticy" feel which is a little weird. I reckon the fiber that is used in that rope is just absorbs less water than others. I don't think it even has a DWR-type dry treatment; just dry by virtue of the material. Shouldn't wear out then I suppose.

Can anyone come up with a link to a comparison of the different "dry" rope treatments?

p.s. You guys were joking about the rope-specific Nixwax stuff, but here it is:

http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/rope/ste_proarid.htm

and only $25!

Alpinfox said:

One of my climbing partners recently bought a "superdry" edelweiss rope and it stays much drier than any other "dry" rope I've ever used. It has a bit of a "plasticy" feel which is a little weird.

I've bought and used edelweiss ropes exclusively for ice climbing. I think they are the best "dry" rope around.

Although, it doesn't pervent them from becoming a cable when your partner fahqs up the retrieve and you have to leave it stuck on the route overnight... madgo_ron.gifrolleyes.gif