White Slabs or Champagne

catbirdseat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya know there may be a harder chimney like feature off that ledge cuz when i climbed what i thought was spring fever on the third pitch we elected to not do the chimney but some crack to the right that i remember being like 5.8 so maybe crackbolter you did climb a crack harder then 5.6.

did the pitch/chim end at a tree?

Sajak,

The chimney I climbed (followed BTW) was at least 5.8 and poorly protected. I sent a route description to the trip reporter before he went but it sounds like they went the easiest way up and skipped the top pitch. If you look in Viktor's new book you can see a chimney directly above where the route ends that heads up diagionally. It felt like 5.8 to me but I'm not a very strong climber. Maybe you should do a recon and investigate.

Crackbolter said:

It started as a 6" to 8" straight in crack at about 5.7 (?) for about 15 to 20' (no pro) to the entrance of the chimney which then you climb deep into the chimney. Sound like the same one you climbed Szy?

I don't think it was quite 5.7, and the off withdth was more like 10' before it got wide enough to fit your body into, but aside from that what you describe sounds pretty similar to what we ran into.

I think we're all talking about the same chimney. We just disagree on the rating. If you don't like chimneys, they'll seem harder.

Since our belay wasn't right below the chimney, I didn't want to set pro right away and make for a lot of rope drag, so the first piece I set was a sling on a small chockstone about 20 ft up. The first part on the outside of the chimney was easy because of big chickenheads for your feet.