Goddamn Indian commercial crabbers again

allthumbs

Off_White said:

I don't think we've allowed the Makah to hunt for reasons of conscience, and for sure the courts don't recognize that argument. I really think its all about the treaties, which are essentially contracts we have entered into with what we agreed at the time to treat as soverign nations. That's what makes the whole issue so meaty, what happens when you make different agreements with different entities? Truth be told, I don't know the right of it, and my personal feelings on Makah whaling are pretty mixed, but I know its not about feeling sorry for the Indians (yes, that term is widely used within Indian Country itself). As they themselves assert, they don't want special treatment, they want the US to keep its legally given promises.

as i said befoer, it dosen't matter whether you view them as a nation or as a piece of teh U.S. if you call them a nation, you must criticize their refusal to ratify the moratorium on whaling...if they are a part of teh U.S. they must accept the decision of the U.S. to ratify the ban... seems likea case of takign the best of both wrolds to me...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

j_b said:

hunting whales is a violation of international law and cannot bo allowed in thewaters of a nation that accepted teh moritorium on whaling

not for the tribes that get a quota from the IWC (Makahs have a quota). i guess it means the IWC is more sensible than you are to the needs of native tribes.

invading Iraq is a violation of international law but it didnt stop F_S from cheerleading it so why is he using it as an argument now? confused.gif

no it wasn't...it was legal after the ordered disarmament of iraq adn the deal that they were not supposed to hamper the investigations of the weapons inspectors... because teh UN disagreed is a moot point... rolleyes.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

j_b said:

the point is not that they were mistreated, it is that their world view has been intrisically linked to whale hunting for millenia

so have many other cultures... rolleyes.gif

and said cultures could get a quota from the IWC as long as whaling is for ceremonies or subsitence

Dru said:

the only correct fact on this entire thread was when it was pointed out that not only can F-S not spell but he also doesnt have a clue. yellaf.gif

so where are any refutations of my points that hold any water dru... or are you just like erik and can only name call and bash my spelling... pathetic... rolleyes.gif

j_b said:

Fence_Sitter said:

j_b said:

the point is not that they were mistreated, it is that their world view has been intrisically linked to whale hunting for millenia

so have many other cultures... rolleyes.gif

and said cultures could get a quota from the IWC as long as whaling is for ceremonies or subsitence

and since nearly every culture has engaged in whaling...there is no point for a ban now is there...?

Dude, anyone can post a bunch of misspelled gibberish and then ask for a refutation but that doesnt mean I have to bother actually trying to decipher what it is they are saying to do so.

If you can

1) come up with a coherent, consistent argument instead of just disagreeing with whatever anyone says cause you are bored

2) spell it properly

I might pay more attention.

I mean, do you really expect me to devote time to trying to prove that Norway is not Asiatic yellaf.gif YOU are the one who is full of shit. Correct your OWN mistakes instead of trying to get me to do it for you. I'm just laughing at you cause you are so fucked you can never even spell "the" the right way yellaf.gif

Dru said:

Dude, anyone can post a bunch of misspelled gibberish and then ask for a refutation but that doesnt mean I have to bother actually trying to decipher what it is they are saying to do so.

If you can

1) come up with a coherent, consistent argument instead of just disagreeing with whatever anyone says cause you are bored

2) spell it properly

I mean, do you really expect me to devote time to trying to prove that Norway is not Asiatic yellaf.gif YOU are the one who is full of shit. Correct your OWN mistakes instead of trying to get me to do it for you. I'm just laughing at you cause you are so fucked you can never even spell "the" the right way yellaf.gif

fine..asiatic + norway rolleyes.gif trivial bullshit is the only thing you can get me on canuck? rolleyes.gif

and since nearly every culture has engaged in whaling...there is no point for a ban now is there...?

having engaged in whaling is not the same as having one's world view centered about whaling.

you must criticize their refusal to ratify the moratorium on whaling...if they are a part of teh U.S. they must accept the decision of the U.S. to ratify the ban... seems likea case of takign the best of both wrolds to me...

are you a troll?

Fence_Sitter said:

Dru said:

If you can

2) spell it properly

fine..asiatic + norway rolleyes.gif trivial bullshit is the only thing you can get me on canuck? rolleyes.gif

don't you mean "teh" only thing yellaf.gif

j_b said:

having engaged in whaling is not the same as having one's world view centered about whaling.

you must criticize their refusal to ratify the moratorium on whaling...if they are a part of teh U.S. they must accept the decision of the U.S. to ratify the ban... seems likea case of takign the best of both wrolds to me...

are you a troll?

hwo could their culture be based on whaling if they haven't done it in 100 + years?

what about the fact that either way you look at them (either as a sovereign nation or a part of the U.S.) they cant hunt without breaking either U.S. laws or international laws?

Dru said:

Fence_Sitter said:

Dru said:

If you can

2) spell it properly

don't you mean "teh" only thing yellaf.gif

rolleyes.gif as i said earlier... pathetic rolleyes.gif

hwo could their culture be based on whaling if they haven't done it in 100 + years?

and what has happened to their culture over the past 100years?

what about the fact that either way you look at them (either as a sovereign nation or a part of the U.S.) they cant hunt without breaking either U.S. laws or international laws?

rolleyes.gif they are not in violation of any laws. they have an IWC quota.

are you a troll?

j_b said:

and what has happened to their culture over the past 100years?

rolleyes.gif they are not in violation of any laws. they have an IWC quota.

are you a troll?

IWC quota is bull... if everyone were able to get an IWC quota then there would be no point of having a ban on whaling at all. Ask yourself this: what are their reasons for granting quotas? And why cant anyone with a maritime origin get one? confused.gif

IWC quota is bull...

so now you drop the "they are not within the law" and say the iwc decisions are bull, .. i see.

if everyone were able to get an IWC quota then there would be no point of having a ban on whaling at all.

not everyone can get a quota, i.e. commercial fishermen can't.

Ask yourself this: what are their reasons for granting quotas?

i already told you: ceremonial and subsistence. that's it.

And why cant anyone with a maritime origin get one?

because 1) not every marine society was/is centered about whaling, 2) some whaling societies have evolved into something else (or disappeared) 3) only few societies can now claim whaling to be spiritually important and needed for subsistence.

all right you have trolled me long enough.

Fence Sitter, You're a moron of major proportions.

OW is totally right.

Dru is right too.

So you were in the army? You were in ROTC? I bet you call your little vacations, "Army experience."

AND GOD DAM IT HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO SPELL, "THE," THE RIGHT WAY.

I'm a shitty speller, but at least I try and have some respect for others. madgo_ron.gif

AlpineK said:

Fence Sitter, You're a moron of major proportions.

OW is totally right.

Dru is right too.

So you were in the army? You were in ROTC? I bet you call your little vacations, "Army experience."

AND GOD DAM IT HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO SPELL, "THE," THE RIGHT WAY.

I'm a shitty speller, but at least I try and have some respect for others. madgo_ron.gif

and after that you ask if i have respect for others? yellaf.gif eat me tree raper smileysex5.gif