Broken Top

rbw1966

Myself, B-Rock and Shredder headed up early Saturday morning to this lovely gem. Left Portland at 515 then were on the approach by 915 if memory serves. Arrived just within the tree line below the crater bowl, set up camp and performed a safety break. Weather was overcast with a bit of spindrift/snow blowing around but nothing major. The summit was not visible at all.

After the break we skinned up to the bowl where we eyed what looked like a sweet, and steep, couloir. Due to the fact none of us had a guidebook with us, and given the location of the couloir we figured it was the 11 o'clock couloir. B-Rock and myself booted up in about shin-deep snow, plunging through a breakable crust. Shredd carried his skis to the top of the couloir. It was only about 500 feet (if that) or so high, with the angle nearing 50 degrees at the top. I traversed over and up the crater rim a bit (app. 100 feet) trying to reach the true summit but the conditions were rapidly deteriorating and the summit could not be visualized. The ridge itself was fragile, unstable and very thin ryme-covered snow, in other words typical oregon volcanic choss. B-rock and I scurried back down to our skis and watched as Shredd made short work of the chute.

We crashed out after a meal of tasty bites and awoke to more snow. 5 inches of freshies everywhere with more coming down every second. Viz was about 50 feet in nasty wind gusts so we packed it up and headed down. Not many turns were had but what we did get was sweet.

Chowing on breakfast at the Alpenglow by 11. Rushed home to begin tear out of a stairwell I am having replaced to find out the contractors are not ready. So no tear out. Damn. Now I am wishing we had skinned up Tumalo.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm doesn't quite look like 11'o'clock from that last picture, but pretty cool looking nevertheless. b-top is the skier's playground for sure. the hardest part of 11 couloir is the end of the traverse over to the nw ridge and summit block, can be spicy!

erik let me know when you want to get that guide up the south side 'o' hood.

No tools were necessary but from down below in the fog the upper portion of the couloir looked pretty steep and potentially icy. We had the tools with us anyway.

The upper portion, above my head, was pretty steep and had some fragile ryme-covered rock. I was real glad I had two tools there.

But you are correct, in the couloir itself tools were unnecessary.