The perfect pack

Terminal_Gravity

How often have you done the perfect pack trick.

Except for some little emergency kit thing, the perfect pack is when you used everything but needed nothing more. You wear every thing you brought, at least once, but were never desperatly cold. And, you ate every thing you brought, but didn't ever go hungry.

Out of something like 1000 outings; I can count 2. Only once was over night; and never multiday.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero

I always take extra food. I think Iam afraid of running out of food. This past summer in cirque of the towers, we planned on 5 days, I still had enough for at least one more day. The extra food came in hand on another trip where I forgot my bag of oatmeal for breakfast.

chris

I hit it pretty consistently when backpacking, basically because as the trip end or resupply get closer I start grubbing all the extra food as "treats". On the AT after the first three weeks I used everything I had at least once a week (had sent home everything I didn't use consistently, and some that I did) never really got too cold (feel cold, brew-up or crawl in the bag, got nothing but time).

Climbing is all over the board though, always feel like I have too much until I realize that the one thing I didn't bring I need (like the damn #4 camalot, left that one and needed it more than a few times, you'd think I'd learn).

Early this spring a friend and I did a 55 mile hike in yosemite. We left from the valley floor and did a loop around the clark range. We each had a BD bullet pack filled with a little less than the essentials. We each carried a down jacket, a hat, an extra pair of socks, a map, a compass and iodine pills. And the most essential piece, the rastafarian bivouac kit. The trip would of been absolutely miserable without the bivi kit. It made being wet, tired and shivering in a little ball at 10k alot more bearable. The one thing we forgot was food. I brought 10 bars and a zip-lock full of raisens and chocolate. My partner brought about the same. We ran out of fuel around mile 40 which was 24 hours into the trip. I didn't really know what hitting the wall was until the last 15 miles. I think I broke through the wall on the last mile due to my desire for ice cream and [big Drink]

I think this was the only time I have used absolutely everything in the pack.

tg

are you affiliated with the brew pub in enterprise? that is the best in the west man! ipa, and your seasonal. i wish it wasn't so far from everywhere. btw, what is the ski touring situation in the wallowas on a normal year? is it worth the drive down from pullman? tips and tricks?

e

Yes, DrE. Thanks for the compliments. I'm the head brewer here. the current seasonal is Festivale. It is in the same jaunra as Celebration & Juble but bigger and more flavorful (8.3%). Our Barley Wine will be released 12/19. All malt and weighing in at above 11.9%.

The back country skiing is easily the best in Oregon. Conditions are looking good already. I would be happy to give you all the Beta you want

Also, as posted on earlier discusions; I am offering free beer to any CC.comers that make it out here.

Cheers, steve

Guiness sucks

TG if I ever make it out there you can bet I will drink a lot of the beer there.

As far as packs well I used everything three times. Two times in the Enchantments this year and once in the North Cascades. All but one were mutli day trips.

It's the carrying food part that defines if I use everything most times. [chubit] I like food [chubit] Even Jack in the Box and fried chicken in the backcountry rule!