• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crackbolter,

Not sure what makes you think I am a "great" climber...more like fat and lazy after this winter.

Anyway, this is a good question, although hard to answer...if there is a right answer. I own both Featherd Friends gear (Volant coat) and Western gear (a Puma Dry-Loft). I love them both. I don't use either very often, but when you need some super cold/save your ass shit, you can't go wrong.

I have also sold Western Mountaineering gear at several specialized outdoor shops, and sat through many clinics givin by their reps. When working in Cali I also toured their factory in San Jose. There is no doubt that WM makes quality stuff.

Yet the same could be said for Feathered Friends. And I like that FF has their own shop with employees who are well educated about the gear they make. When your chosing a $500 dollar sleeping bag, good customer service is crucial.

If you really want to see the differences between the two companies, you are going to need to start investigating the particular materials and construction techniques that each uses. Needless to say, both companies use some of the best materials and design techniques. Which is THE best, is highly debatable and subject to opinion. One of the most important factors to consider is the quality of down feathers used. WM sources their down from England (I belive) from people who specialize in producing high quality down. Whether they call it is 750 or 800 fill is irelevant, because these numbers are only an aproximation, and typicaly an under-estimation of the actual loft. Look at inches of loft per bag, this is a better indication of warmth.

One thing I like about FF is that they make some nice bags that are specialized for climbers. I don't know the names, but half bags, and bags with sleeves and drawchords at the feet, etc. These bags get good reviews from people that use them on serious routes. They also are very good about making customized bags that will fit your specific needs. WM sticks to the more traditional designs, but they make some really light weight bags as well.

Personaly I think the Epic fabric, or the WM micro fiber is the best way to go. And if you need more protection, bring a thin GTX bivi. I have a Dry-Loft Puma, and it really limits the amount I can use it. In a snow cave I still need a bivi anyway, but DryLoft and GTX bivi is not a good combo, too much condensation. My Volant is Epic and so far I dig it, although it will eventulay get wet in a pissing storm.

Everything is a compromise when it comes to the right gear. Just think about when you are going to use it most often and buy the bag or coat for those conditions. If you buy a bag for the one time you will need a super warm bag, then 99% of the time it will be sitting in your closet. You can allways add stuff to a bag to make it warmer, but a 20 below bag doesn't have much opportunity to be used around here.

Oh and one more thing, I am not sure I trust the paper thin materials that bosth of these companies are using now. a super light bag won't do you much good if all of the feathers are spilling out of it. i'd stick to the traditional ripstop nylon.

I hope this answers some of your questions, good luck!

FF and Western Mt. are on a par. In the end I went with the company that could make me the best deal, so went with WM. Either way you go, I recommend ordering from the factory rather than buying from a secondary retailer so you can have more input into design, fill, color, etc.

I was kidding Lambone.

I was going through the image database and saw some old images of Phil Ershler and Jim Wickwire with old school FF down gear on a few days ago.

I mostly think it is cool that most of the products are designed for Washington's tough conditions.

I think the Vireo half bag was a great idea for climbs like Stuart N. Ridge or NE Butt on Slesse or Bear or a long trek into Marble Creek where you have to carry so much gear due to long approaches, technical glacier travel and moderately technical rock climbs.

I also think it is cool that the retail store has so many cool people come in for slide shows. I loved the Tackle and Becky slideshow. Check out the image.

166161-tackleandbeckey.jpg.0e778d48c987733d2329823791515315.jpg

Lambone called it right, you have to decide what you are going to be using the bag for the most and see what manufactuer makes the best bag for those needs. My WInter bag is a FF model w/ epic fabric. It's awesome. My summer bag is a WM ultralight (whatever their 16oz model) is and I love that too. I went with who I thought had the better bag for those particularly uses. The cool thing about FF (maybe WM does this too?) is they'll pretty much make whatever you want them to make if you are willing to pay.

-josh

If you have a chance, take a look at Climbing Magazine's Septemper issue of 2002. There is a great shootout with all of the lightweight bags on the market. I am not sure what the temp rating you are looking for but the ones being reviewed are around 20 degrees. Lots of great info.